Introduction: Creamy Spinach Chicken
This is one of my very favorite spring summer dishes. I usually cook it a lot when the vegetable season starts. One of the first vegetables to harvest is the spinach. This dish is light with a nice combination of cream and vegetable taste and it is low carb (I don't use any flour to thicken the sauce).
The quality of the ingredients is crucial here. There's no point in adding vegetables that have no taste to a sauce that's supposed to taste like vegetables. Same with the meat, you definitely want to use high quality meat that tastes like it. So if you don't have your own vegetable garden and chickens, just get the ingredients from your local farmer.
This is a one pot dish, the cooking including preparation takes about 30 minutes.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 6 large spinach leaves
- 6 small tomatoes
- 5 asparagus
- 1 medium onion
- 400 ml of heavy cream
- 1 clove of garlic
- sweet paprika (ground)
- 150 ml of water
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- large pan/skil
You can definitely add some more herbs to this dish, I would recommend a little fresh basil or lovage (add the lovage at the very end, if you cook it too long it will loose it's scent and taste). I don't add herbs here because all my ingredients are fresh and have a strong taste, so I don't really need to add anything else to the dish.
Step 1: Prepare the Meat
1. Cut the chicken breasts in fillets. I cut every breast in 2. You don't want to cook the meat too long so it needs to be thin. Salt the meat and sprinkle it with sweet paprika.
2. Heat the olive oil on a pan and sear the meat. Then remove it from the pan and set aside for a while. Reserve the oil on the pan.
Step 2: Cook the Vegetables
1. Chop the onion and fry over medium heat until golden. Add minced garlic and the asparagus cut in half legthwise. Fry until the asparagus gets just lightly toasted (about 2 minutes).
2. Add sliced tomatos and fry until they get soft (another 2 minutes).
3. Add water and spinach (chop the leaves if large) and let it simmer until the spinach wilts and a little more so the broth can soak in the taste of the vegetables.
Step 3: Finishing the Sauce
1. Add the cream and salt to taste.
2., 3. Add the chicken breast, pour the sauce over them with a spoon and let it simmer for about 7 minutes.
4., 5. Serve in the same pan or in another nice large dish.
Participated in the
One Pot Meals Speed Challenge