Introduction: DIY Finishing Wax (food Safe)
Make this simple yet awesome wax finish for your woodworking projects like cutting boards, toys, tabletops....you name it!
pssst....you can even apply it to your leather shoes/boots to make them impervious to rain and to get the leather shine back like new!
TIP: open and hover over the images with your mouse for description.
Step 1: Stuff You'll Need
- Kitchen scale
- 150 grams of 100% beeswax (sheets melt faster)
- 400 grams of mineral oil (mine was colored red with food coloring, if you don't do that your paste will be yellow- the color of beeswax)
- Pyrex or a sauce pan to heat the oil and mix in the beeswax
- Jar for storage of oil-wax mixture
- Oven glove
- Stick or spatula to mix
- Heat source (if you want to see why I used grill for this check the video embedded or click HERE)
- Thermometer (optional but helpful)
Step 2: Measure Ingredients
Measure 400 grams of mineral oil and 150 grams of beeswax.
If you don't have a scale you can measure by ratio: beeswax 1.5 and mineral oil 4.0 (1 to 4 also works)
Step 3: Heat the Oil and Add the Beeswax
Don't heat the oil too much, you can cause a fire hazard (wax and oil are easily inflamable)!!
Never leave it unattended when heating!
Put the oil into the pan and heat it to 81C (177F).
Mix in the beeswax and stir until the wax is not visible (it melts).
When melted take it off the heat source.
Step 4: Put It in Container and Mix Until Cools!
Put it in container for storage and mix it until gets waxy-like consistency.
The step above is VERY important as if you don't mix the wax and oil will separate during the cooling.
You have your great and non-toxic finish for furniture, cutting boards, toys, leather shoes, dry hands?, etc!
Use Clean cotton rag (old T-shirt) and little amount of your oil-wax mix.
Apply it on in very thin coat onto desired surface, leave it sit for 15-30 minutes and then wipe off the excess (buff it).
When using on shoes you don't need to leave it sit on leather, just butt it in.
Make it and you'll love it!
Runner Up in the