Introduction: DIY Nightstand Organizer
I built this nightstand organizer to organize the items I carry everyday and then leave scattered on my bedside table. I chose to use poplar project board because it is cheap and easy to work with. This organizer is able to charge my phone, apple watch, and earphones. The cords are nearly all hidden and more could be easily added to charge other devices. It also features a lamp on a black iron pipe structure with a pull chain. Aside from organization, the stained poplar base and black iron pipe structure look great on my nightstand.
- Poplar project boards of various lengths
- Black iron piping pieces (floor base, nipples, tee's, reducers, couplings, and end caps/plugs)
- #6 1" wood deck screws for assembly
- #14 1" stainless steel wood screws for mounting pipe base
- Lamp kit
- Antique amber bulb, 5W
- Black spray paint
- Mineral spirits
- Wood conditioner
- Oil-based wood stain and polyurethane
- Wood glue
- Table saw
- Radial arm saw
- Tape measure
- Sandpaper (180, 320, & 1000 grit)
- Phillips head screwdriver
- Oil-based stain paint brush
Step 1: Piping Structure
I started by wiping all the black iron pipe off with a damp cloth. Then I spray-painted each piece with gloss black spray paint + primer. I left them to dry and screwed them together to assemble my pipe structure. Lastly, I ran my cords threw the pipes and attached my lamp socket, bulb, and watch charger.
Step 2: Poplar Board Base
I used my final project sketch and dimensions to measure out the poplar boards and cut them using a table saw and a radial arm saw. Additionally, I drilled holes to mount the pipe base and to run cords through. I assembled my base into two separate parts, the bottom base and the top deck, countersunk holes for the deck screws and screwed the pieces together using a hand-drill.
Step 3: Stain and Glue Base
I began by sanding all of my surfaces working from a rough grit sandpaper to a fine grit sandpaper. I cleaned my two base pieces by wiping them with a cloth dampened with mineral spirits. After the wood dried, I applied wood conditioner in preparation for the stain and allowed it to dry for about 30 minutes. I applied the first coat of stain + polyurethane and let it dry for an hour. I then lightly sanded over the first coat using my 1000 grit sandpaper before applying my second and final coat. Once my last coat of stain dried, I applied wood glue to both pieces and clamped them together over night to attach the upper deck to the base. Finally, I screwed my piping down to the base and ran the cords through their appropriate holes.
Participated in the
First Time Author Contest