Introduction: Dream Ethnic Lantern From Plastic Bottle
Lanterns with colourful candles inside give you an exotic look during festive times. Here I have turned an empty plastic juice bottle into a lantern which looks as if its made of glass and metal. Here I will show and explain to you how I have made it so that you can make it, which will give another unique dimension to your festive decoration.
Step 1: Materials
- One empty plastic juice bottle
- Tissue paper
- White glue
- Home Made Clay (I have explained in this Instructable how I made it) or you can use modelling clay which you get in a local shop.
- Black and copper metallic acrylic colour
Step 2: Home Made Clay Materials
To prepare the homemade clay you will need:
- Corn flour - 1 cup
- White Gum - 1 cup
- Vinegar - 2 tablespoon
- Cooking Oil - 2 tablespoon
Step 3: Prepare Clay Mixture
- Take all the materials from previous steps into a heating bowl.
- Stir all the things continuously to avoid lumps.
- When it becomes a smooth paste put it on flame and heat it while stirring it continuously till the mixture forms a dough and comes out smoothly from the pan.
- Let it cool
Step 4: Knead the Dough
- Then on a flat surface knead the dough very nicely so that its texture becomes very smooth and soft like clay. Apply oil on the floor beforehand
- You can test whether the clay has come out well by the following method:
- Take a small ball of clay and pull it with both ends.
- It should separate forming a shape of a teardrop.
- Then you should be sure your clay is fully ready to be used.
- Put it in a plastic zipper (airtight)
- And then put that in an airtight container.
- This can be used as when you require (can be used for 3-4 months if you store properly)
- This clay gets hard when exposed to air.
Step 5: Bottle Cutting
- The plastic bottle is perfect for this project:
- It will be a recycling method
- It will make the project wallet-friendly
- But if you want you can use a different type of bottle
- Take an empty juice bottle and clean it with water then dry it properly.
- Then use a stencil cutter to cut a two-inch portion from the middle so that the bottle shortens in height so that it suits the size of a lantern.
Step 6: Cardboard Cutting
- Take cardboard.
- Draw a circle with reference to the cut end portion of the bottle.
- Draw another bigger circle with the help of a compass by putting the tip of the compass on the centre of the initial circle.
- After this make six points on the bigger circle and join all these points with straight lines.
- Then cut the cardboard along those lines.
- Cut the centre circle with a stencil cutter.
- Now you have a polygon-shaped figure which is hollow inside.
- You should pass the lower half of the cut bottle inside the polygon so that it fits there properly.
- You can use gum if required.
Step 7: Attaching Two Portions and Polygon in Between
- Now you have to attach the top of the bottle to the lower one and the polygon between them.
- Pierce holes with a hot needle on the sides of the two halves then pass a wire through both and fasten it tightly.
- Now the structure is ready.
- Note: the wire is necessary on one side so that we can open it as a cap and put a light inside like an electric candle.
Step 8: Preparing the Base
- After completing the structure, you have to prepare the base for its decoration.
- Mix gum with some water in a bowl.
- With the help of a brush put the gum-water solution on the lower end and top end of the bottle and cover it with tissue paper.
- The middle part of the bottle should remain clean
- Let it dry.
Step 9: Clay Time
- Now its time to use the clay.
- Take it out from the packet in small quantities as required by you.
- Now you make any shape or designs you wish and stick it on the bottle with gum.
- Decorate it as you fancy.
- I made it in an ethenic look design.
- Let it dry.
Step 10: Ethnic Design by Clay
I consulted some ethnic designs online and made those designs by putting the clay flat on the floor and rolled it. After making it flat I used a knife to cut different designs. After making all the designs I attached all those on the base by using glue.
Step 11: Painting
Take the black acrylic paint first and paint the portions of the lantern where there is tissue paper and clay carefully so that the blank portion of the bottle does not get dirty. If it gets, by any chance then clean it instantly with a damp cloth.
Let the black colour dry.
Now its time to give it a metallic look. Just use your fingertips to lightly apply the metallic paint so that the colour only gets on the designs made by the clay while the base remains black. Let it dry.
Step 12: Lightup the Candle
You can purchase an artificial candle and put it inside the lantern. If you put a red colour candle you will have a warm red glow from inside of the lantern.
Step 13: Done
You can hang it on a tree with fancy fairy lights all along which would look absolutely fabulous, and would uplift the mood. This can be used on multiple occasions, from festival to romantic mood.
Participated in the
Holiday Decorations Speed Challenge