Introduction: Engraved Photo
This is a tutorial on how to engrave a photo, however this tutorial does not include steps to include the background.
Materials: Plywood 1/4 inch, about $7.
Software: Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
Step 1: Crop Out the Background
- Want to use photoshop for this step.
- Select the "quick selection" tool in photoshop
- Can adjust the size of the brush via the "brush picker" feature. Located on the top left of the screen.
- With the tool in hand, click and drag over the unwanted background areas
- This is a blog page dedicated to the quick section tool in removing backgrounds for further clarity and questions on this step. https://www.creativelive.com/blog/remove-backgroun...
Step 2: Change Photo to Grayscale
While still in photoshop, go to image --> mode --> grayscale.
Step 3: Adjust Grayscale Contrast
- While still in photoshop select the sponge tool
- This tool will adjust the contrast of black vs white.
- Want to make the eyes and non-shadowed face areas more light
- Want to make the hair darker
- Sponge tool options
- Mode: Increases or Decreases the color contrast
- Brush: Sets up the brush tip
- Size: Changes the size of the brush
- Flow: Changes the rate of change in saturation
Step 4: Warning
If the last step, adjust the grayscale contrast is skipped, the result will turn out poor. Here is an example.
Step 5: Touch Up the Photo
- While still in photoshop adjust the resolution to 200 pixels/cm
- Then go to filter --> sharpen --> unsharp mask
- Amount: 200 % Radius: 1 pixels Threshold: 0 levels.
- Change image to a bitmap
- image --> mode --> Bitmap
- output at 200 pixels/cm
- method will be halftone screen frequency: 200 lines/cm
- Angle at 15 degrees
- shape will be round
Step 6: Add a Red Outline
- Open the file in adobe Illustrator
- Make sure the program is in the RGB color mode
- Draw a box around the image using the Rectangle tool
- Change the outline of the box to red
- R: 250
- G&B: 0
Step 7: Cut Settings
- Send the file to the laser cutter
- Tip: justbeamit.com is a good website for easy file transfer
- but can use other means as well
- Speed should be 300 mm/s
- Power should be 20%
- Interval should 0.05mm