Introduction: Grilled Steak Tacos
These tacos are perfect for large gatherings as they can feed many, are fun for all to put together and taste divine. This recipe relies heavily on the grill as the steak, tortillas and salsa are all made over the charcoal flames. Although a charcoal grill or camp side fire pit is ideal for this dish (for the smokiness), it can easily be made on a gas grill.
The meat ideally should be marinated for 24 hours so help tenderize it. The recipe calls for flank steak but any other steak can be used.
Large cast iron pan skillet or comal
Step 1: Steak Marinade
Serves: 3-4 people
- 1 lbs flank steak
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon clove powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 3 guajillo chili
- 1 ancho chili
- 2/3 cup hot water
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon juice
Step 2: Working With Chilies
- Using a knife split open the chilies lengthwise.
- Remove the seeds and the stems.
- Soak the chilies in the hot water for 30 minutes to reconstitute them.
- Blend the chilies (with water), garlic cloves and lemon juice into a paste.
Step 3: Marinade Steak
- Rub the salt, oregano, cumin, cinnamon and cloves onto the steak.
- Take a 1/4 cup of chili paste and rub into the steak. Coating evenly.
- Place into a bag and allow it to rest in the fridge for 24 hours or at least overnight.
- Pull out the steak 2 hours prior to cooking to allow to come to room temperature.
Step 4: Corn Tortillas
Makes approximately 15 - 6 inch tortillas
- 2 cups masa harina (white, yellow or blue)
- 1 and 3/4 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients.
- Since the water is hot, start out with a fork then work with your hands once the mixture has cooled down.
- The mixture is perfect when it is not sticky, can be rolled easily into a ball and when pressed down the edges do not crack. (see picture on hand)
- Cover the dough and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
Step 5: Charred Salsa Verde
- 5 medium sized tomatillos, husks removed and washed
- 1/2 large white onion, with root intact
- 1 large jalapeno (2 jalapenos if you like it extra hot)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 lime's juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a bowl toss the tomatillos, jalapeno, onion and garlic with the oil.
- Place on the grill and char on all sides.
- Once evenly charred, cut the root section out from the onion.
- In a mortar and pestle (mojaclete) crush all the ingredients together with salt, pepper, cilantro and lime juice.
- Or can be blended in a food processor. Do not puree since it is a chunky sauce.
Step 6: Tortillas on the Grill
- On the grill warm your cast iron skillet/comal. A regular skillet can also be used.
- Using a small 2 tablespoon scoop or using a 1 tablespoon measuring spoon (x2), measure out approximately 15 tortilla rounds. They should be slightly smaller than golf balls.
- Use wax paper or plastic wrap on your tortilla press to avoid the mixture sticking.
- Press a tortilla and gently transfer onto the skillet. Cook on each side for 40 seconds.
- Place the tortilla directly on the grill for 20 seconds each side to get grill marks and smoky flavors.
- Place into your tortilla warmer or in a bowl covered with a tea towel.
- As one tortilla is cooking press the next one to keep the process moving fast and avoid the tortillas drying out.
Step 7: Steak
- On a hot grill that is clean and gently oiled to avoid sticking, place the steak.
- Cook on each side for about 6 minutes.
- Check for an internal temperature of 135 F for medium rare 145 F for medium and 165 F for well done.
- Let the steak rest for 10 minutes covered with foil.
- Slice the flank steak against the grain.
Step 8: Serve
Tacos can be topped with all sorts of toppings. Some of the suggested ones are;
- chopped onions,
- queso frecso
- red cabbage, thinly sliced
- sour cream
- pico de gallo
For these tacos were enjoyed with chopped onions, red cabbage, cilantro, lime juice and the charred salsa verde.
Second Prize in the
Outdoor Cooking Speed Challenge