Introduction: Hanging House for Little Critters
This is just an easy to make hanging house for small critters. My family has rats, and they love to hang in this.
- durable fabric
- sewing machine or needle and thread
- small hook
- hard square piece of something (I used a plastic floor tile piece, but cardboard or something else should work just as well)
Step 1: Cutting Fabric Pieces
- Measure the hard square tile, cardboard, etc... and cut 2 pieces of fabric just a bit bigger than the square.
- Then determine how tall it needs to be and cut 4 triangles (all the same size). Make the bottoms the same length as the fabric cut for over the square.
- Take one of the triangles and cut a circle wide enough for the critter to fit through but far enough from each side of the fabric into the middle of the triangle.
Step 2: Sewing
- Hem one side of one square.
- Sew the base of one triangle (without a hole) onto the edge of the other square (that hadn't been hemmed).
- Line up the square with the triangle on top of the side of the other square that was hemmed and place the other three triangles (make the one with the hole opposite the hemmed and already sewn triangle) along the sides and pin together.
- Sew the remaining 3 sides of the base.
- Match each side of the triangles up and sew down the sides.
Step 3: Hook & Base
- Make a small slit at the top and insert the hook.
- Slide the floor tile, cardboard piece, etc... into the pocket in the back.
Step 4: Enjoy!
- Put the furry critter in and have fun!
Participated in the
Pets Speed Challenge