Introduction: How to Track Your Hamster Wheel
Dustin, my dwarf hamster loves to run in his hamster wheel at night. I was wondering, how far and fast he runs. So I decided to install a speedometer.
Step 1: Calibrate Speedometer
- First, you need to measure the hamster wheel's diameter
- Multiply the diameter with π (3.14159....)
- Use the result to calibrate the speedometer
Step 2: Install the Speedometer
- Mount magnets on the outside of the hamster wheel
- Install the sensor on the cage close enough to the magnet
- Spin the wheel to check the speedometer
Step 3: Enjoy the Surprising Results!
Who would have thought that a hamster runs this much! Although tiny, Dustin runs around 18km / 11 miles in one night. I wouldn't be able to keep up with him :-)