Introduction: Instant Appam Recipe
Hi Foodies !!
Today I am sharing appam recipe with you guys which is an instant version. Appe/appam also known as paniyaram is a popular south-Indian breakfast recipe. It is made from Idli rice and fresh coconut, which is first soaked for a few hours. After soaking, the rice swells up and then it is ground along with fresh coconut and fenugreek seeds. Later, this ground rice batter is kept in a warm place for fermenting. It is kept overnight or at least 12 to 15 hours for proper fermentation.
In India, the weather is hot and humid for most time of the year, which makes the fermentation process easy. Whereas, in colder regions like European countries and the US, where the climate remains colder, fermentation takes longer time, maybe 18 to 20 hours.
Also, it is not convenient every time to go through all this process of soaking, grounding and fermenting. So, here is the quick version of the appam recipe.
Instead of using Idli rice, here we are using rava, that is, Semolina or cream of wheat, as we call in English. For the instant version, we will be using curd for getting that sour taste in appam.
Let's begin with the recipe.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- Appam maker/ pan
- A wok or a frying pan
- Large mixing bowl
- A spatula
- 1 cup Semolina/Rava
- ½ cup Yoghurt/Curd
- ½ cup Water
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Rai/ Mustard seeds
- 1 or 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 medium Onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste or grated
- ½ cup Red bell peppers finely chopped
- 2 to 3 tbsp Fresh coriander leaves finely chopped2 to 3 tbsp Oil for greasing the appe pan cavities
Step 1: Step1: Sautéing Veggies
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in the frying pan and add mustard seeds, saute for few seconds till it crackles.
- Then, add finely chopped green chillies and onions and stirfry till the onions turn translucent or golden brown in colour.
- Add grated ginger and garlic and saute till the raw smell of garlic goes away.
- When onions are cooked, add chopped bell peppers. Give it a nice mix and cook till the bell peppers are partially cooked, it should retain little crunch in them.
- Add in finely chopped coriander leaves and mix it nicely and turn off the flame.
Step 2: Step 2: for Making Semolina and Curd Batter:
- In a large mixing bowl, add thick curd/ yoghurt and add 2 tbsp water and whisk it nicely.
- Add the rava in the bowl and mix it with the yoghurt. Use unroasted rava to make the batter.
- Add salt and water as required in the batter and mix well without forming any lumps.
- Now, add sauteed onions and red bell peppers into the bowl and mix it nicely.
- Cover and keep it aside for 15 to 20 minutes
Step 3: Step 3: for Cooking Rava Appam or Paniyaram:
- Heat appe maker/ pan or paniyaram pan and add few drops of oil in each cavity.
- Till the pan is getting heated, add 1 tsp of Eno fruit salt into the batter and combine it vigorously.
- Now, lower the flame and add a tbsp of rava batter in each of the holes.
- Cover the pan with the lid and let it simmer on low flame.
- After 1 or 2 minutes, add few drops of oil on each of the appe and again cover and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Once the appe is cooked and turns golden from the base, flip it upside down with the help of a spoon.
- Cover and again cook from another side for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now, remove the rava appe from the pan with the help of a spoon.
- Finally, serve the hot or warm instant Rava appe with onion tomato chutney.
Step 4: Final Thoughts on Rava Appam
Important tips for making instant rava appe:
- Firstly, soak the rava and yoghurt batter for 15 to 20 minutes till it turns into a homogenous mixture. Alternatively, you can use a leftover batter of idli or dosa.
- Saute the veggies of your choice and then add into the batter to make it more healthy and delicious. Similarly, saute the finely chopped onions and add into the batter, it enhances the taste of appe. You can also use raw/ plain onions.
- Use Eno fruit salt to make it more flavourful and to make it fluffier. You can replace Eno fruit salt with baking soda.
- Most importantly, grease the appe pan cavities with oil and cook on low flame. Otherwise, it would remain uncooked from inside and would get burnt from outside.
- Finally, serve rava appam with onion tomato chutney or sambhar.
Please let me know how this recipe turns out for you in the comments. I love to hear from you.
Thank you so much for your time & efforts to visit & read this recipe, I really appreciate that. If you think it deserves, please do vote.
Participated in the
Kitchen Compromises Speed Challenge