Introduction: IoT ESP8266 Series: 1- Connect to WIFI Router
This is part 1 of an "Instructables" series dedicated for explaining how to make an Internet of Things project using ESP8266 NodeMCU that aims at reading and sending data to a website and making an action using the same website.
This instructable will show you how to configure it and program it using arduino IDE. You will implement two projects:
- Blinking an LED
- WIFI connection and IP-address print
Step 1: Download the Arduino IDE and ESP8266 NodeMCU Driver
Step 2: Configure ESP8266 NodeMCU As an Arduino
3. Start Arduino and open Preferences window.
4. Enter http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266... into Additional Board Manager URLs field.
5. Open Boards Manager from Tools . Enter esp8266 intro the search field to install ESP8266 platform
6. Go to Tools > Board menu, then select your ESP8266 board.
7. Go to Tools > Port. Connect your ESP.
Step 3: Run Blinking LED Program
This program needs no circuit. It will use a built-in LED which is connected to:
The pin named D4 or GPIO 2
For more information about hardware see this link https://github.com/nodemcu/nodemcu-devkit-v1.0
Download the attached program
Step 4: Connect to a WIFI Network
This program will connect your ESP to a WIFI network and print its IP address on your arduino serial monitor.
You need to modify your ssid and password
const char* ssid = "YOUR WIFI NETWORK NAME";
const char* password = "YOUR WIFI PASSWARD";
make sure that the Baud rate in the program and your serial monitor window are the same
Step 5: See Next Instructable
See part 2 to learn how to send your sensor data to one of the popular IoT free cloud service https://thingspeak.com.