Introduction: Lego Man Costume for Kids
I saw another lego man costume instructable (https://www.instructables.com/id/The-Justice-Lego-League-of-America-saving-the-worl/ ) and I just HAD to make it for my kids. I found an AMAZING site with lots of DC heroes: http://www.flickr.com/photos/levork/4966756896/in/set-72157603262151483/lightbox/ but my kids wanted the three they saw on the video, so who am I to argue with 'em.
BTW, this is my first instructable, so my apologies if it sucks.
The first thing I did was try to compare the three sizes of kids I have with a lego guy!
I put three chalk lines on a wall, separated by 1 foot each line. I put the boys front of the wall, one by one, and took the picture. Then I photoshopped them together and, using another Lego Guy picture, then compared them to the Lego Guy proportions. I used the wall lines to figure out the measurements of the final costume too.
now.. I used the same structures suggested by the other instructable for the head. And yup, they are mega cheap. They are called Cylinder Building Forms, and I REALLY made a big mistake by not buying the smaller diameter tube :( You can see by the picture that I bought the size 12 one, but I think they had a size 10 one.
I then used a Huggies diaper box, because it was the PERFECT size!!! I made it thinking I'd use it as a template later. It was an awesome idea because it made my life soooo much simpler later!
I then bought three LARGE boxes from Home Depot and cut them into identical bodies. Easy Peasy.
The head was "easy". It could have been sooo much easier had I bought the smaller size... Plus cutting the face holes into the cement tubes was CRAZY hard. What worked for me was making a template and then cutting on both sides of the tube. In hindsight, I guess that having a bigger tube made me cut out a piece, thus giving me space to work on the "inside" of the tube. hmm.. maybe it wasn't such a bad idea. I used the left over cut out piece of the tubes to just reinforce the head from the inside.
You can see that I also cut out the top from the inside... my eldest's heads wouldn't fix without that extra lego top space.
The cool part has begun!!!
Cutting the logos out and starting the first part of painting was awesome and felt like it was starting to look like something!
I bought some spray paint to start the big stuff. The kids jumped at the opportunity to help out with this part.
but WAIT!!!! Don't make the mistake I did!! The cheapest spraypaints were for sure in Walmart, and I cheaped out. WRONG! Krylon sucks. I t wouldn't cover a damn thing. It just "dyed" the boxes red and green (the grey was ok after it's third spray). When I bought the yellow, I had to buy that tremclad stuff, and the yellow was awesome! it was one spray and done! So i just went back and bought the Tremclads for the green and red.
You can also see that I covered the "yellow" pieces with tape. I ended up painting the yellow parts of the faces by spraying yellow into a plastic box and then used a paintbrush. It was pretty decent. Another detail is that I wasn't about to buy brown paint for Green Lantern's hair, so I just bought some brown tempera at the dollar store. Done.
Step 4: *edit * Added New Steps!
So I finally decided to add hands, and I also found a solution to the a problem I hadn't seen before: the masks need to STAY on somehow.
Let's start with the helmet issue first. I didn't want to suffocate heads by filling them with foam as the other instructable did. It worked fine for adults, but not kids. It took me three tries to get it right. I just glue-gunned some foam pieces I had laying around (these were from a computer I had bought a while back) and then carved off the left over pieces. You can see how I locked in the head so it wouldn't move around.
Step 5: Now the Hands...
Now the hands. This was such a hassle that I eventually only made one pair. Its pretty self explanatory.
I cut out the hands from cardboard, and again used that foam kicking around at home to "sandwich" it with the cut outs. The first hand, I taped the crap out of it, because I remembered, from the previous step, that foam and spray paint don't like each other at all. So to make the hand look awesome, I thought taping it up would be cool. Then my wife opened her big mouth and told me to Paper Mache it. Of course this was infinitely better than tape. So I did that. Then spray painted. And they turned out awesome. But toooo much work.
You can see I added some white mesh to Batman's eyes. It just looked better. I also used black tape for Batman's belt.
I don't think I'm gonna make the Lego hands, because although it would look awesome, it just won't be practical for my kids and their Halloween bags.
* edit *
And here they are getting ready for Halloween!!!!
Second Prize in the
Halloween Easy Costumes Challenge
Participated in the
Halloween Epic Costumes Challenge