Introduction: Leinadworks; a Standing Pencil Case
This is my 76th prototype of a standing pencil case. (True)
As a product designer, I've always been into making pencil case since 2014.
There are two main features of this pencil case.
1) Standing; It is always convenient to have case standing in order to instantly pick the right pen, looking from above.
2) Customizable; I wanted each pencil case to have its own identity for artists or designers.
To build this pencil case, you will need,
1) 3D printer
2) Super glue
Step 1: Download STL Files
There are four main components of this pencil case.
1) Upper Case
2) Bottom Case
3) Upper Ring
4) Bottom Ring
You can download it from Thingiverse projects or directly from this tutorial.
Step 2: 3D Print STL Files
I used 'Monoprice Mini v2.0' for the printing.
Here's the setup that I used.
- Layer thickness: 0.15mm
- Infill: 20%
- Supports only on the 'bottom ring' part. else, I just printed without any supports.
Total printing time took around 7 hrs.
Upper Case: 1.5 hrs
Bottom Case: 4.5 hrs
Upper Ring : 0.5 hrs
Bottom Ring: 0.5 hrs.
Step 3: Assembly
Here, we will attach
1) Upper ring to Upper Case
2) Bottom ring to Bottom Case
Make sure that you leave them dry for more than 10 minutes before closing them together.
Step 4: Customization; Make One and Only Pencil Case.
As I said, this pencil case has its beauty in 'Customization'.
You are free to try your own methods. Here are some I tried.
1) Using Vinyl cutter for Marshmello & Storm troopers
2) Edited original file using Fusion 360; Mickey mouse, Coco and Sully from Monster Inc.
3) Used Acrylic Paint for colors on Sully and Coco
Original Design file (Fusion 360) : https://a360.co/2Hyfyt4
I uploaded original fusion file for this pencil case, and you are free to make your own version of it.
I still have long way to go to improve this pencil case, and I'll be back with more updates later.
Please enjoy and don't forget to share your unique design.
Step 5: Put It on Your Desk and Backpack & Enjoy!
Participated in the
Pocket Sized Contest