Mandalorian Barnwood Epoxy Clock

Introduction: Mandalorian Barnwood Epoxy Clock

Ok... To start I am sorry about my pictures being turned... I have tried 3 times to get them straightened out and I keep failing....

So being a star wars fan and needing a clock in workshop it just made sense to me lets have some fun!

Supplies

barnwood (i used 2 16" x 7.25" pieces)

clock mechanism (bought from walmart for $4)... I will replace with nicer one soon

epoxy resin

mica powder (pigment dye)

wood glue

propane torch

boiled linseed oil

Step 1: Time to Get Started Time Is Ticking....

Ok I picked up a bunch of barnwood last summer and decided this would be a time to digit the pile! I cut a board down and got 2 - 16" long pieces out of it.

This was an (optional) tool/step depending on what you want to get out of the look but I ran the pieces threw my planer.

When I got look I wanted it was time to glue it up! glue it up and clamp it down!

Step 2: Time to Get to Business

I started with making a good logo on poster board. Then traced it onto the board.

I used my handheld router and a 1/16" bit to carve out the image.

Step 3: Epoxy.. and My Mess ..

I have been trying to use up an Epoxy resin as I am making a brand switch just due to some small issues that I can fix by using a different brand. Not gonna name drop here but I am personally making the switch to Total Boat.

However I mixed up a small batch and put some silver black pigment into it to start with my pour.

Then I did a 2nd pour with a red copper pigment and tried to get a little swirl effect (fail 1)

Next day I realized I had some overflow.... (fail 2)

So I started scraping and sanding to try and clean it up. Then I got too aggressive with it and got a couple ugly spots in my resin. (fail 3)

I then decided to have fun with the propane torch!

I mark them as Fails as I wasn't thinking distressed look for my original concept however after reassessing the project I think I was intended to go this way because seriously when do you see a spotless anything in the star wars world....

Step 4: Getting Ready for the Clock Mechanism

After figuring out the placement of where I wanted the clock I drilled the hole so I could mark where I needed to clear out on the back for the actual mechanism.

Once again I just used my palm router to clear it out real quick.

Step 5: Finishing Time!

I used a mix of boiled linseed oil and turpentine for the finish. Just a nice easy wipe on and let it soak in!

Then I put the clock mechanism in the spot on back and attached the hands, and put the battery in and wham bam thank you ma'am I now have a one of a kind handmade clock in my workshop!

I hope you enjoyed this clock build! I am sorry again about the pictures turning after the upload. I still don't know what went wrong there.

If you like this build please hit that vote button for me! Thanks for checking this clock out!

Clocks Contest

Participated in the
Clocks Contest

Be the First to Share

    Recommendations

    • Make it Fly Challenge

      Make it Fly Challenge
    • Summer Fun: Student Design Challenge

      Summer Fun: Student Design Challenge
    • Fruit and Veggies Speed Challenge

      Fruit and Veggies Speed Challenge

    Comments