Introduction: Mega Lego Skeleton

This mega sized version of Lego Minifigure Skeleton, is constructed primarily of empty Lego cardboard boxes.  It is articulated and stands about 3ft. tall.

Last year I decided to make use of a bunch of empty Lego cardboard boxes and other scrap cardboard. The result is my Mega Lego Skeleton. Built mostly of Lego packaging, other cardboard, masking tape, glue, hot glue and paint, it stands just under 3 feet tall, and is articulated the same as the tiny model it is based on. 

I have included a .pdf of the parts sheets laid out on 11x17 paper and the Blender file I created to design it.  The .pdf template is complete, but not fully formatted, I will update it at some point.  I will also add painting templates to the .pdf for the face. 

I designed it in Blender as if I were designing a paper model.  I had to add additional support due to the size.  From the Blender file, I used a combination of UV unwrapping and later discovered Pepakura designer, which speeded up the process quite a bit.  I ended up modifying the output from Pepakura quite a bit to make the cutting and structure make more sense for its large size and more rigid material.

Though mostly very accurate to the original, the arms are actually a combination of the real angled and straight arms. I wanted the angled arms but I also wanted it to be able to hold times up and down. So the arms are basically the angled arms with the wrist rotated 90 degrees.

I laid out all the parts in Adobe Illustrator and printed them out on 11x17 paper. 

I then used light tack spray mount to attach them to the printed sides of the boxes and cut out the pieces.  I used a ball-point pen or the back side of a craft knife to score the part where the folds are.

The grey parts in the template are meant to be cut out of thicker cardboard and used to create a lip to which the outer parts are to be glued. 

Some parts, especially the chest, are a little tricky to get together because of the small areas and bends, but cardboard is a pretty forgiving medium.  In come cases, I just split the parts open and resealed them.

Once the individual parts are assembled, I used glue and newspaper to bridge some of the small gaps that arose.  Then it was painted with acrylics.

The parts are all marked and I have included several in progress pictures to better understand how it all goes together. 

Please feel free to ask any questions should they arise.

Thanks for checking it out!

Make It Real Challenge

Participated in the
Make It Real Challenge