Introduction: Mentos Geyser Tube: Re-Make
Step 1: Gather the Stuff You Need
- PVC 1/2" coupling tube (x1) ~ $0.15 @ local home improvement store
- PVC 1/2" end cap (x1) ~ $0.30 @ local home improvement store
- Two litter Coca Cola cap (x1) ~ free
- Paper Clip (x1) ~ free
- Small cord ~ free
- Dremel (+ drilling bits + cutter)
- Loctite Super Glue
- Duct Tape
Step 2: Drilling the Cap
Take the 1/2" coupling tube and center it on top of the bottle cap. With a pencil, outline the inside of the coupling tube on the cap. Hold the cap with a pair of plier and you can now machine the cap following the outlines with the Dremel cuter tool. File the chips with the Dremel for a nice finish.
Step 3: Drilling the PVC End Cap
Hold the 1/2" end cap with a pair a pliers and drill a hole on top of the PVC end cap. The guys at Eepybird, in their great tutorial, recommends drilling holes sizes 1/8" or 1/4". You can try drilling one hole only, or more than one hole, or a slot pattern.
Step 4: The Release System
- The first one is the most classic one: drill two aligned 1/32" holes perpendicular to one end of the 1/2" coupling tube, on each side, where you will then put a paper clip. The setback of this system is that the Coke, in the process, will also escape from these little holes.
- The second one works very well too and is more "leak proof": instead of a paper clip, it is using two small magnets (on outside the 1/2" coupling tube and on inside). For this system, instead of drilling small hole, you'll have to machine the coupling tube in order to flatten the tube and thus make a stable base for the magnets.
Step 5: Glue All the Pieces Together
Now that all the parts are machined, you can glue them together with the Loctite Super Glue. First the PVC end cap to the PVC coupling tube, and then the bottle cap. Within a few minutes, everything should be sturdy. You can use some duct tape if you like for an even stronger finish.
Step 6: Experiment !
- Insert 5 mint Mentos into the geyser tube and lock them with the release system (paper clip or magnet)
- Place the Diet Coke bottle in a large outside open space (parking lot, etc.)
- Open the Diet Coke bottle and carefully screw the loaded geyser tube to it.
- Make sure no people or animals are in the line of fire, and trigger the release system with the help of the small cord
- Enjoy !
Participated in the
The Instructables Book Contest