Introduction: Power Rangers Energem

About: I am a Software Engineer who likes to tinker with many different technologies. One motto I try to live by is " I can stop learning when I die".

My son has recently discovered the Power Rangers on Netflix and of course as the nerdy dad who likes to build I was interested of what I could make for a quick weekend project. After some searching on Thingiverse I found thing 2563021, a perfect small project for me to mod. I had seem some people making similar objects with colors, but I decided it needed to glow like in the show.


  • Thin computer cable (only about six inches)
  • Push button (harvested mine from an old printer)
  • Three LR44 batteries
  • One Bright LED
  • Gray PLA filament
  • Glow in the dark PLA filament

Step 1: Modifying the Design and Print

So the crystal STL file was a solid object. I loaded the file into Tinkercad and hollowed it out by making a duplicate hole and centered it before performing the join. I attempted to allow for one mm of material on each side. I then removed the ends so that I could put the electronics inside.

Once I was confident I had the correct designs I threw gem stl into Slic3r and printed it at 0.3mm layer height with glow in the dark filament. Next I loaded in the two ends into Slic3r (had to make sure these were flat on the plate because the models were angled off for some reason). Again I printed this at 0.3mm layer height but used silver filament.

I will admit here I made a slight mistake and didn't put a hole in one of the ends for the button to go through. This was easily rectified with the drill as you can see in the photo.

Step 2: The Battery

So I realized after I got the batteries that I needed some type of holder for them. Back to tinkercad and with my calipers i made a little half cylinder for three batteries to fit in. I had the innards of a burnt out surge protector which has these nice straight copper strips, I cut two small pieces off used those as the positive and negative end leads. Just because I am being a bit lazy, I used some blue painters tape (it's what was in arms reach) to hold the batteries in.

Step 3: Soldering and "Glue"

So the positive lead was soldered to the positive wire of the LED. The negative wire of the LED was soldered to one end of a wire, the other end of the wire was soldered to the push button. One end of a second wire was soldered to the negative lead, and the other end to the corresponding pin on the pushbutton. Now I couldn't find my glue gun (i'll admit the office is a bit messy) but I did have my 3D pen on me, it works out very well for holding the pushbutton in place at the top end.

At this point I realized that I couldn't push the pushbutton, so I found a small scrap piece of plastic from an old print and superglued it to the pushbutton, just enough so I could push it in. If it's too big then you may detact the button from the glued mount.

Step 4: Assemble and It Is Finished

I carefully slid the battery into the gem, tested it to make sure everything worked and then glued the end caps on with some super glue. Works like a charm on the first try.

My son immediately loved it and then I showed him that it glows in the dark after usage. Not too bad for only really spending maybe an hour building it (with the exception of print time).