Introduction: Pumpkin Patch Patch
I picked up embroidery over quarantine because it's such a nice way to keep busy. I wanted to share how I did my most recent patch, a pumpkin patch, to hopefully inspire some others like me to get into beginner embroidery!
- basic embroidery experience
- embroidery hoop
- sharp needle
- two shades of orange embroidery thread
- one shade of brown embroidery thread
Step 1: Getting Started
- Mount the canvas on a small embroidery hoop. This patch can be any size, I chose a bigger one.
- Draw your pattern in pencil. Pumpkins come in many shapes and sizes, so experiment with placement and appearance if you wish.
Step 2: Outline Stitch
The pictures show a step-by-step of how to to the outline stitch. I used the lighter orange with a big thread.
Step 3: Outline
Make sure to outline one chunk at a time without stretching the thread behind the canvas. I used the lighter orange for the pumpkin and the brown for the stem.
Step 4: Coloring Stitch
I tried to use a satin stitch to fill in the color, with an embroidery thread with half fibers.
Step 5: Coloring
(My attempt at using the satin stitch is messed up but it still works)
I used the darker orange for the pumpkin and the brown for the stem. Make sure to angle your stitches in the direction of the pumpkin's curves.
Participated in the