Introduction: Quick and Simple Hummus Recipe
Making hummus seems daunting at first but it is pretty easy and much cheaper than buying hummus from the grocery store. You can also create the hummus to your liking without paying that extra price! This is such an easy recipe you can whip out for an after school snack or even make it into a fun activity with the kids! It is a healthy snack that both adult and children will enjoy, and it only takes minutes to make. It is versatile enough where you can eat it with chips or veggies, depending on your mood. I hope you will try making it and enjoy!
** using peanut butter will work but it will create a more nutty version of hummus
Prep time: 3 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- 1 can (15 oz) of chickpeas/ garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup of tahini or smooth peanut butter
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil plus extra for drizzle
- 1-3 peeled garlic cloves (depends on your garlic preference)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- smoke paprika (optional for topping)
- pickled pepperoncini or jalapeno (optional for topping)
- veggies or chips to serve with
- food processor
- rubber spatula
- measuring cups and spoons
Step 1: Create the Hummus!
1. Open, drain, and rinse the garbanzo bean in water
2. In the food processor, add the tahini/peanut butter and the lemon juice and puree for about 30 seconds to combine
3. Once combined, add the garlic, garlic powder, cumin, and salt to the tahini lemon mix and puree for about another 30 seconds to combine
4. Once everything looks mix, add garbanzo beans and olive oil to the food processor and puree until it looks homogenize. If it still looks chunky, feel free to add a little bit of water until desired consistency.
5. To plate, add hummus and drizzle more olive oil to it and sprinkle smoke paprika to your liking.
6. Add the pepperoncini on top of the hummus if you like, and then serve with veggies or chips
Participated in the
After School Challenge