Introduction: Raw Mango Drink (Panha)
This drink is made from Raw mango. It is also best way to cool off during summer. Since Mango is seasonal fruit which is available during summer, Raw mango drink is the best to beat the Heat.
Step 1: Ingredients and Seasoning:
- 1 medium large Raw Green mango, washed
- Few Ice Cubes or Crushed Ice
- 2 ½ cups cold water
Seasoning - adjust to taste
- 2 tsp Cumin Powder (Available in any Indian store or a store that has Asian spices section)
- 2 tsp of Black Salt
- 4 tbsp Sugar, to taste (see Tips)
- Few Mint leaves or cilantro leaves to garnish (optional)
1. Water : The amount of water will depend on the consistency you like along with the amount of pulp from the Mango. Keep in mind that the generous addition of ice cubes will dilute the juice when it melts. So add water accordingly.
2. Seasoning : The amount of Cumin Powder and Black Salt depend largely on how tangy/sour the Mango is. It will also vary on your taste preferences. The idea is create a flavor where you get the sweet and sour balance from the mango and sugar.
3. Sugar : The amount of sugar will depend on the sourness of the mangoes. The firmer the mangoes, more sour it probably will be. Some people tend to use little ripe mango (when the Green mango is soft when pressed) which will be little sweeter than the unripe ones, you will need to add less sugar.
Step 2: Method to Prepare:
1- Peel the Mango and cut it to pieces leaving out its seed.
2- In a vessel, add the cut mango pieces and about 1 cup water, boil for about 10 minutes.
3- Let it cool to room temperature and remove the pulp.
4- Place the pulp into a processor/blender and puree it into a smooth consistency.
5- In a serving jar, add the pulp along with 2 tsp black salt and 2 tsp Cumin powder, 4 tbsp sugar (more or less can be added to taste). Mix well.
6- Add about 2 ½ cups of cold water and generous amount of ice cubes or crushed ice. Stir well.
7- Pour out the drink in serving glasses and garnish with mint leaves or cilantro leaves.