Introduction: Renew an Old Radio
How to make an usable radio from an old and silent one ?
I took an old radio, that doesn't work sine a long time and was dusty. I changed the fabric, removed some electronic parts, and inserted a new radio, with old but functional speakers.
Step 1: Step 1: Clean and Replace Fabric
Take a lot of absorbent paper, and use soft soap, with water. For "hard-to-remove" spots, let the soap act. If it's not removed, use some distiller liquids (alcohol or some more powerful solvents).
Remove screws, take the electronic part our of the case. You can clean also the interior of the case.
Step 2: Step 2: Finish the Case
The border is not very nice. Time has made his job on the paint.
Unmount the piece of brand (in bronze), scrub it until you see the bronze color. Only water, soap and a long time.
Then, do the border :
- remove old paint
- use scotch to mask the case
- paint with a small brush
- remove scotch
- remove paint that overflows
Step 3: Step 3: the Heart
Ok, electronic does not work at all. So, I decided to remove tubes and insert a new "all-in-one" radio. I chose the one : LEPY LP-A68 mini Hifi Ampli
Not so expensive, very small, does not require welding.
- Remove electronic parts that interfere with the mini HiFi ampli
- Remove the old speaker (mine had a hole)
- Check the position of the mini ampli
- Plug for the first test
Now, we have to make it solid.
Step 4: Step 4: the Mini Ampli
Find a good position for the mini ampli.
Use existing holes if possible, and if not, drill some.
I used 2 screws for the 4 holes of the mini ampli.
Step 5: Step 5: Speakers
I had 2 speakers in my garage, waiting for 10 years.
Unmount them, and put the case in the trash.
Build an arm to maintain speakers right in place of the old speaker. I used existing holes of the radio case to fix the arm on the case.
Plug everything to make the final test. If all is OK, mount the back part and let the cordon out.
Step 6: Make It Better ?
Yes, there is so many ways to continue the restoration :
- Make the USB port (in the from of the mini ampli) replicated in the back of the case
- Same thing for input jack port, and input audio ports
- Add some light (LED) in the case to make it more alive when it's on
- Use a real audio fabric in the front to have a perfect sound
- and so on...
Thanks for reading.