Introduction: Rope Beer Chiller
With summer fast approaching, it will only get harder to enjoy a chilled drink before its ruined by this relentless heat. I've got the perfect instructable to keep the heat at bay and your drinks cooler for a bit longer. We'll be creating an insulated holder for your favorite beer, soda, and juices.
- Insulative Foam (shorturl.at/ctMR1)
- Insulative Foil Tape (shorturl.at/kDFM4)
- 14 Feet of Rope (shorturl.at/oDMX1)
- Hot Glue (shorturl.at/doFI1)
- Empty Bottle/Can
Step 1: Prepare First Insulation Layer
We'll be using an empty bottle as a template to start our chiller.
- Cut a strip of foil tape enough to go around the circumference of your bottle with a little overlapping.
- We need to go halfway up the bottle so you may need 2 or more strips of foil tape.
- Peel the backing off the tape and wrap it around the bottle with the adhesive face outwards as we will be sticking our foam to it. Ensure the tape is wrapped snug but the bottle can twist within it.
- Repeat the backward foil tape wrapping process until you are halfway up the can or bottle.
Step 2: Prepare Insulation Foam
We need to prepare the foam to stick to the foil tape to help keep the cool in and the heat out.
- Cut the foam into half-inch strips, you can use your ruler and marker to mark out your strips before cutting. (You can add the foam without cutting it but it may be harder to keep it stuck on)
- Cut a square piece of foam wide enough to cover the bottom of your bottle/can.
Step 3: Sticking Foam to Foil Tape
Now we'll be bringing our 2 insulative layers together.
- Take your strips and layer them on your foil tape around the bottle and the way to the top of the tape.
- Cutaway any excess/hangover pieces
- Cut small pieces to fill in any gaps you may have.
Step 4: Prepare Your Rope/Cord
Getting the rope ready is a fairly easy process.
- If you are using a large rope, you can undo the windings to make the profile a bit smaller and more comfortable to hold.
- Power on your glue gun to get up to temperature.
Step 5: Forming Your Base
Creating the base of the chiller and insulating it.
- Starting rolling your rope in a circular form, adding hot glue along the sides to keep them stuck together. Hold each area firmly after sticking the new layer of rope to the previous one to allow enough time for the hot glue to set.
- Continue the circular winding until the base is as wide as the bottom of the bottle.
- Once the base is as wide as the bottle, cut the end of the rope.
- Apply hot glue to the base and stick the insulative foam to it.
- Cut the 4 corners to make fitting the sides hassle-free.
Step 6: Creating Rope Outer Lining
Time to bring it all together with the rope outer lining which holds the insulative materials together and gives a better hold on your cold beverage.
- Place your bottle on the base and join the rope to the end that was cut from the base with a generous portion of hot glue.
- Wrap the rope around the outside of the bottle (insulative material).
- Adding hot glue to the layer of rope below the layer you're adding, then firmly press on the rope and hold it in place for a few seconds for the glue to set.
- Wind the rope around the bottle until you reach the top of the foam.
Step 7: Finishing Up
We are almost done so you can put your next cold drink in the refrigerator to chill.
- Remove the bottle as we will be doing the last winding.
- Wrap the rope on the pot inner side to cover any exposed foam, apply the hot glue to the foam and press the rope into it.
- Cut the end of the rope and open the winds.
- Apply a generous portion of hot gule and hold in place until partially dry.
Step 8: Painting (Optional)
Painting the cooler is not necessary but if you'd like a color that wasn't available in the rope you used its a great way to make it pop even more.
- Prepare your spray area and shake spray can well.
- Apply 2-3 layers of paint to fully coat the rope.
- Allow paint to dry.
Step 9: Enjoy the Long Lasting Chill
All that's left to do not is grab your favorite chilled dring. Pop it into your new drink chiller and enjoy your refreshing beverage, with each sip as cold as the last. Great for hot days on the beach, a break after a long work period in the sun. Youll love it and the cool contents inside.
Participated in the
Rope & String Speed Challenge