Introduction: DIY Shishi Odoshi
I really like my mini pond. Pigeons like it too so I thought a Shishi Odoshi (Japanese for "scaredeer") could be a great solution to keep them away. In addition, it looks great.
- 2 meter/6.5ft of bamboo (around 5cm/2inch thick)
- a small solar pump (you can get it here)
- silicone hose for the pump
- pivot rod
- strong glue (e.g. UHU Kraft)
By the way, there is a previous instructable of mine on how to build a mini pond.
Step 1: Cut the Bamboo
First you need to cut the bamboo. I used a Japanese saw which made it easy. You need to cut
- 2 legs with the same length, the top is cut with a 45 degree angle
- 1 center tube with one end cut with a 45 degree angle; the node of the bamboo needs to be close to the middle of the tube to hold the water; it also needs to be slightly more next to the outlet as we will later on drill holes for the pivot rod
- 1 crosspiece, both ends are cut with a 45 degree angle; it should be slightly longer than both legs and the center tube
Step 2: Insert the Center Tube
Next you need to insert the center tube using a pivot rod
- Drill a hole trough the center piece, it should be slightly off the middle in order to fill up with water before it tilts; make sure you do not drill trough the node of the bamboo, as it will hold the water
- Drill a hole in each leg to insert the pivot rod
- Finally test if the center piece will turn freely
Step 3: Add the Silicone Hose
Now you need to prepare the water supply
- Drill a hole on the bottom of one leg to insert the silicone hose; I used that side of the leg which faces towards the wall.
- Insert the silicone hose and pull it to the top
- Drill a hole in the middle of the crosspiece; insert the hose and push it through the hole;
- Now you can finish the frame and glue the legs and the crosspiece together. I have used UHU Kraft.
- The hose ends in a water spout, I have used bamboo to cover the hose;
Step 4: Install You Shishi Odoshi
- Fix the frame to your mini pond;
- Install the solar water pump in your pond. Cover the hose with plants and stones; Connect to the hose of the Shishi Odoshi;
- When the sun is shining, water should flow through the hose over the water spout into the centerpiece; after filling up, it should tilt.
- Tip: you can add weigth at the end of the centerpiece to control how much water is needed before tilting.
You are finished! Enjoy your beautiful mini pond with a Shishi Odoshi!
Participated in the