Introduction: Simple Conch Mood Lighting!
While we were vacationing in Nevis, we found this beautiful shell walking along the beach. I decided to turn it into a mood/accent light by using a simple LED that flickers and is the color of candlelight. I really liked how it came out and wanted to share the idea with you.
Step 1: Materials/Sources and Tools
- Battery Holder for AA Batteries with an integrated on/off switch Amazon Battery Holder Link (6.99/4)
- EDGELEC 100pcs 5mm Yellow Flicker Flickering LED Diodes Candle Flicking Lights Clear Round Top 29mm . LEDs that look like candlelight (10 cents apiece)
- 2 AA Batteries
- Shrink Tubing
- Conch Shell (Mine is 325 mm)
- Soldering Iron
- Wire strippers/pliers
Step 2: Solder Battery Leads to the LED
- The red lead is the positive lead on the battery holder
- The long lead is positive on the LED
- Cut a piece of shrink tube and move it away from the piece to be soldered so it does not shrink prematurely
- Make a solid physical connection between the leads.
- Solder the leads
- Use the heat gun to shrink the tubing insulating the LED leads and the connections.
Step 3: Tuck the Leads Into Shell to Hide Them
Whenever I want to use the light I turn it on using the integrated switch and then tuck the battery holder and the leads into the shell far enough to hide them. The light shines internally and creates a really warm glowing effect, perfect for the holidays or whenever.
Step 4: The Project in Its New Home at My Office
I hope that you enjoyed this project. I would love to hear your impressions and comments!
Participated in the
Make it Glow Contest 2018