Introduction: Simple Garden Flag Blank
This is how I make blank garden flags; they can be decorated with heat transfer vinyl from your craft cutter, screen print, or any other fabric decorating method. A flag finishes to to 12-1/2" x 18".
These instructions are how to make a flag using a basic non-printed fabric with a hem on the backside.
- One piece of duck canvas or other suitable fabric, cut to a 14-1/2" x 22".
- Coordinating thread
- Sewing machine
- ruler or measuring tape
- Sewing gauge (optional)
Step 1: Fold the Hem on 3 Sides
- Fold and press a 1/4" crease on the two long sides towards the back side of the fabric.
- Fold and press a 1/4" crease on one of the short sides.
- Fold over and press the same three sides again, creating a double hem.
Step 2: Stitch the Mitered Corners
- Open up the pressed corner.
- Turn the flag over.
- Fold the corner in half along a 45 degree angle, with the front side together.
- Stitch and backstitch from where the inner-most hem fold meets the folded edge, to the next hem crease (shown by the pin).
- Repeat for the other hemmed corner.
Step 3: Clip and Re-press the Hems
- Clip the corners about 1/8" from the corner stitch.
- Flip the fabric so the back side is again facing up.
- Push out the mitered corners and re-fold the hems.
- On the remaining un-hemmed edge, fold and press over 3/8" once. I find it works best if you do the first fold on the long edge, then fold the remaining edge, then do the second fold on the long edge.
- Press all the hems and corners again.
Step 4: Stitch the Hems Down
- Stitch the three hemmed edges about 1/8" from the inner fold. Be sure to backstitch at the start end end to lock the stitch.
- When you reach the seam at the corner, leave the needle in the fabric, and rotate to the next side.
Step 5: Fold and Sew the Pocket
- Fold the un-hemmed short edge over the back so the total flag length is 18".
- Stitch as close to the fold as you can, backstitching at the start and end.
- Stitch a second line about 1/4" to the right of the previous stitch to lock in the un-finished edge, backstitching at the start and end.
Step 6: Decorate As Desired
- Flip the flag back over so the hem is face-down.
- Decorate as desired with heat transfer vinyl or other process.
Participated in the
Art Skills Challenge