Introduction: Spiked Salsa
The summer season is upon us and that's all the excuse I needed to try jazzing up a classic party snack = Drunken Salsa!
I used fresh (local when possible) ingredients with Espolon 100% agave tequila to create this deliciously boozy dip.
Step 1: Recipe
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice (for soaking onions)
- 3 tsp minced jalapeño pepper (include seeds if you like spicy)
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt (kosher if possible)
- 3 tbsp 100% agave tequila (I used Espolon)
Step 2: Take the Bite Out of the Onion
If you are cool with everything that comes with eating fresh raw onions, go ahead and just put them right into your mixing bowl. If like me, your tummy and kissing partner have trouble with the rawness, there's an easy fix.
- put your chopped onions into a small bowl
- add 1 tbsp of lime juice and stir thoroughly so they all get coated
- let sit for 5 minutes
- add ice and cold water so the onions are covered and let sit for 10 more minutes
This effectively removes the bite and accompanying after effects...
Step 3: Marinating the Maters
Chop your tomatoes and add them to your medium sized mixing bowl.
Drizzle the 3 tbsp of tequila over them and stir thoroughly. Let sit for 10 minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients.
Step 4: The Rest of the Best
Chop, measure, and add the rest of the ingredients.
Gently mix it up!
Step 5: Serve Responsibly!
Remember that although the chances of getting intoxicated from such a small amount of snacking are slim, it will add to one's overall alcohol consumption. So serve responsibly! And happy summer times. : )
Participated in the