Introduction: Spiral Cast Puzzle Solution
I really like this Hanayama Cast Metal Spiral Puzzle. There are five interlocking pieces that don't seem like they can be taken apart. When I passed it around, most thought it was a fidget toy and just enjoyed moving the pieces up and down. The first part of the puzzle is taking it apart which is a challenge. Putting it back together is even more difficult. If you haven't guessed already, the word "Spiral" in the name is a big hint.
I've tried the capture the solution in pictures and words but this video should help as well.
Link to Puzzle on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2NHjhW2
Step 1: Key Piece
Out of the box, you will notice that one part has words written on it. That is the key piece for the solution.
Step 2: Test
Holding that key piece, all the other pieces should drop in a spiral shape.
Step 3: Solution
This is a little hard to show in pictures but hopefully, you can follow.
- Position puzzle so piece with the word is facing up
- Place your middle finger (right hand) under the piece with the word
- Allow pieces to drop in a spiral
- Using your left hand, secure the lower three pieces of the spiral (keep the shape)
- Using your right hand, rotate the two pieces (worded and the first piece counter-clockwise) as a group to unlock them from the spiral
- From there, removing the remaining parts is intuitive
Step 4: Re-Assembly
I felt re-assembly was harder than getting it apart. If you looked closely at the puzzle before you took it apart, you might have noticed that the worded piece had a larger interlocking gap compared to the others. Also, when you dropped the spiral, the vertical gaps were not consistent. I found that the gap was either 50/50 or 70/30 in a rotating manner. Use this as a guide when reassembling the puzzle.
Thanks for Viewing!