Introduction: The BEST Tuna Sandwich OF ALL TIME
My girlfriend and I really like sandwiches. We go around our city discovering new sandwich places (well... pre corona) and new flavors...
This one is the sandwich we used to eat it when we had lunch together in college.
We hope you like it, it is very easy to make but the sauce gives its special flavor.
Prep time: about 15 minutes
For 2 big sandwiches or 4 smaller ones:
- Ciabatta bread
- A can of chunk light Tuna (in water)
- 1 large avocado
- 12 units of sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 tbsp of pesto sauce
- 4 tbsp of mayonnaise
- 2 pickles
- Mixed greens (about 2 handfuls)
- Food processor
Step 1: Prepare the Sauce
As we said before, this is the star of the sandwich and what makes it special.
First, put the sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl and pour boiling water until they are completely submerged. Let them rehydrate for about 5 to 10 minutes. Drain the tomatoes and reserve the water.
In a food processor, process the hydrated tomatoes with the pesto. Gradually add about 2tbsp of the reserved water, until you get a sauce like the one in the last picture. Feel free to add more if needed.
Step 2: Prepare the Tuna
Drain the water from the tuna can, and pour all the tuna in a small bowl.
With a fork, break down the large chunks of tuna. Add 4tbsp of mayo and mix evenly. Like the sauce, you can add more mayo if you feel it's needed... It doesn't matter if you taste it beforehand :P
Pro tip: for a more gourmet experience, use garlic mayo (alioli).
Step 3: Prepare the Rest of the Ingredients
- Bake the bread for about 10 minutes at 200°C (400°F) or until it's nicely toasted and crisp on the outside.
- Cut the pickles and the avocado in slices as thick as you like :P
- Cut the mixed greens if there are any big leaves.
Step 4: Assemble the Sandwiches
- Cut the bread in half. Remove the bread crumb from the top layer (this makes the perfect space to hold your tuna).
- Over the lower half, spread the pesto/tomato sauce. Place over some sliced pickles, and a quarter of the avocado (if making two large sandwich use half avocado in each instead).
- Over the other half, spread the tuna paste and add some mixed greens
- Close the sandwich
Step 5: Serving and Time to Eat!
Serve your sandwiches while the bread is still warm and crunchy! We recommend to add some potato fries or chips on the side and it's time to eat!
We hope you enjoy this sandwich as much as we do. It is really easy to make and can be prepared for any occasion. We also made changes in some of them, like replacing the tuna with hummus or adding some cherry tomatoes... Baking or cooking is more fun experimenting.
Runner Up in the
Sandwich Challenge 2020