Introduction: The Puzzling Bottle
This is a puzzle lover's dream, a fantasy in a bottle. A creative way to test the real puzzle enthusiast. At first glance, it may seem impossible to get the note out of the bottle which then leads you to wonder, how it was secured in the first place.
A creative way to solve that puzzle itch you've had for so long. Paper cash can be used as an incentive or a personalized handwritten note to that puzzle crazy loved one, whatever the case, this is the puzzle that will keep them busy for a while with its simplistic difficulty.
Try to figure it out before reading the instructable, without breaking the bottle of course.
What You Will Need:
- A Flat Flask Bottle (Glass)
- 2 1/2 - 3-inches tall piece of paper and/or Paper Currency (Money
- Rubber band or Piece of string
- A 9-inch long piece of stick (Must fit within the opening of the bottle with a little wiggle room)
- A bolt and nut (Must be half the width of the bottle)
- A magnet
Tools You May Need:
Step 1: Creating Note
To use a paper currency note with this puzzle, it will need to be rigid enough so a piece of paper the dimensions of the paper money is cut from a letter-size sheet of paper. A Pen is used to mark the edges and the shape is cut from the letter-size sheet.
Note: If you are using multiple paper currency notes then there is no need to cut additional paper as this is only done to ensure the thickness of the paper once folded. Also, if you are only going to be using paper for, let's say a handwritten note, poem or drawing, etc then the sheet of paper just needs to be long enough so once rolled, does not flex easily.
Step 2: Rolling Paper
Once the type of paper being used has been gathered, we need to roll it. Start with a close roll but not too tight at the beginning. As you continue to roll, ensure the sheet is being pulled tightly to get an even and close roll.
Add additional joints of paper by slipping the beginning of the ned sheet into the end of the old sheet that has almost finish rolling.
Step 3: Strapping Down
Once the sheets have been rolled together, secure them with an elastic band or string. Ensure the elastic or string covers the rolled paper at least halfway.
Step 4: Create Bolt Hole
A hole needs to be in the stick, 1 inch from the bottom to accommodate the bolt. Use a drill to make a hole in the wooden rod. Ensure the bolt is able to go in and out of the hole easily.
Note: the rod does not have to be wooden however it needs to be solid all the way through.
Step 5: Bottles Up
Now we need to fill the bottle. Start by adding your note, then the bolt and nut, and finally the rod.
With all the parts in the bottle, now the real fun begins.
Step 6: Fitting the Puzzle
This step will describe and illustrate both how to fit the puzzle together and how to solve it.
Assembling the puzzle:
- With the bottle tilted to the narrow side, use the magnet to hold the bolt upright.
- Position the hole in the rod below the bolt.
- Remove the magnet, allowing the bolt to fall in the hole.
- With the bold in the hole within the rod, align the nut below the bolt.
- Using the bottom of the bolt to hold the nut in place, twist the bottle off its narrow side on to its flat face.
- At this stage, the paper roll needs to be on the same side as the nut.
- With the nut now on the edge of the bolt, screw the bolt onto the nut with the paper roll.
- Align the paper roll below the bolt and gently push down on the bolt while pushing it forward.
- Repeat the instruction in the previous line until the nut has been tightened.
Solving the puzzle:
- Solving the puzzle isn't hard once you figure it out but it does take, focus, concentration, a steady hand, and patients.
- The same method used to screw the bolt-on is what is used to solve the puzzle.
- With the paper roll on the same side as the nut.
- Press the nut against the paper roll while pushing or pulling in the direction needed to loosen the nut.
- This is repeated until the nut is free from the bolt.
- The bottle is then turned 180 degrees and the bolt will be able to fall from the hole in the rod.
- Once the bolt is free, the rid can be removed along with the bolt, nut, and the treasure.
View the assembly and solution video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0v6mSiDWcQ
Step 7: Test the Puzzle Lovers
Now you know how to assemble and solve the puzzle, lets put a friend to the test. Many will think it's not solvable but all those who got to the end of this instructable will know the secret.
Participated in the
Puzzles Speed Challenge