Introduction: Think Drink! the Safer Way to Deliver Beverages
Because of our current situation, we are unable to get near our friends. But what if you and your friends are having a little social distance get together? You don't want to be a bad host and not offer a drink. But how? That's where Think Drink comes in! It is a drink holder that you can attach to any type of remote controlled vehicle. So if your friend asks you to bring them a drink, don't let Covid keep your friend parched! Use Think Drink to steer their drink to them and safely quench their thirst. *(I am 13 year old and going into 7th grade)*
- Popsicle Sticks
- A Hot Glue Gun
- Velcro Strips
- An RC Car or A Remote Controlled Car
- One Spring
- Wire Cutters (or something else that can cut the popsicle sticks)
- A Drink!
Step 1: Cut and Glue the Base
- Cut the curved ends off both sides of three popsicle sticks
- Cut all three in half so that you have six equal length sticks
- Arrange them into a hexagon and glue them like that
Step 2: Building Up
- Grab 12 more popsicle sticks and only cut the curved ends off one side
- Align them so that for each side of the hexagon, there are two sticks on each of the inside walls and glue them
Step 3: Finish the Top
- Repeat Step 1: Cut and Glue the Base, and make another hexagon, the same size.
- Glue the new hexagon at the top of the upright sticks by first putting it around all of the top, then, pull back each upright stick and glue it to the hexagon.
This will be what the cup sits in.
Step 4: Adding the Spring Trap
You will need a small spring for this, around 1-1.5 inches
- Cut a popsicle stick a little less that halfway, then cut a V shape at the tip
- Glue another, with one curved side cut off, between two inside sticks on the outside of the cup holder
- Glue the spring at an angle to the V cut stick near the V
- Glue other side of the spring and the opposite end of the V to the inside of the popsicle stick in step two
The V should be facing the inside of the cup holder
Step 5: Attaching
- Cut two strips of Velcro, for my Mini Cooper they were each about 9.5 inches long, but you can measure it to your vehicle
- Glue about 1 inch of each Velcro strip to the outside of the walls. If the strips are to narrow, feel free to glue another stick in between the two you are gluing the Velcro to
- You should now be able to wrap the Velcro around your car and have the cup holder fit snug on top
Step 6: Creating the Floor
If your vehicle does not have a flat top like mine, you can easily construct a small floor for the cup to sit flat on.
- Grab 6 popsicle sticks and trace the outline of the holder onto them
- Cut them around the outline
- Glue them to the bottom of the cup holder
Step 7: A Little Extra
- A Sharpie
- Two popsicle sticks
- Some cloth or felt
- Grab two (or more) popsicle sticks
- Glue the two on top of each other, forming a mega stick
- Grab some cloth or felt and cut it into a rectangle around 5 by 3 inches
- You can write the name of your "company", I chose Think Drink and put the Mini Cooper logo on it too, but you can put whatever you prefer
- Glue the fabric onto the end of the mega stick
- Glue the flag in between two walls, at the back
Step 8: Testing
We are done with the building part! Now we just have to test it.
Make sure everything fits well on the car and nothing is dragging when you drive it. Then, make sure that most cups will fit into the holder and you can drive with a beverage in it.
If everything is working great, you might be able to start your own business! :)
Participated in the
"Can't Touch This" Family Contest