Introduction: Tuna and Chickpea Meatballs With Cranberry and Jack Daniels Barbecue Sauce
The meatballs are quite light and delicate and I only paired them with the cranberry barbecue sauce because I had some cranberries left over which I wasn't sure what to do with but they would also go well with a tomato sauce and pasta or bread.
The portions and quantities that I list are what I used to serve one (very hungry) person.
Step 1: Ingredients
For the meatballs:
- Tin of tuna (130 g)
- Tin of chickpeas (240 g)
- Seasonings (black pepper, salt, oregano, ground ginger)
- Oil (for frying)
For the barbecue sauce:
- Garlic - 1-2 cloves
- Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato passata/puree - 1/2 cup (100 g)
- Cranberries - 1 cup (around 130 g)
- Brown sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Jack Daniels - 2 Tbsp
- Cayenne pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Smoked paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - a pinch
- Salt - a pinch
- Rice - 75-100 g
- Green beans - 75 g
Step 2: Barbecue Sauce
- To make the barbecue sauce start off by peeling and finely chopping the garlic cloves.
- Then heat up a small pan and add the oil and then when it's hot add the garlic and cook it for a minute or two.
- Then add the cranberries and the rest of the ingredients and simmer it for around 15 minutes until the cranberries have all popped and it has thickened.
Step 3: Meatballs
- To make the meatballs drain the tin of chickpeas and then add them to a bowl and us a fork to mash them up.
- If you're making this for more than one person using a food processor might be a good idea but for just one person there's no need.
- Then drain the brine from the tin of tuna and add that to the bowl and use a fork to break it up into flakes.
- Add the seasonings to the bowl and then mix it up thoroughly.
- Use your hands to shape the mixture into balls. I made them quite large but the size is up to you..
- When all the mixture is used heat up a frying pan and add around a tablespoon of oil.
- Add the meatballs to the pan and fry them until they are golden brown.
- In the meantime cook the rice and any vegetables you want with it.
Step 4: To Serve
Take a plate and put down a big bed of rice on it. Add any vegetables on the side of the plate. Put some of the barbecue sauce on top of the rice or on the side of the plate if you want it separately and then add your meatballs. Dig in!
Hope you enjoy, and please vote for this in the Cooking For One Challenge if you liked it. Thanks!