Introduction: Warhammer 40K Hand Embroidered Wall Hanging
I was recently commissioned to embroider a passage from Warhammer 40K lore. It's definitely not the most uplifting thing I've ever embroidered, ha!
That being said, I love mixing delicate embroidery with strange and dark subject matter, so I was all over this. :D
I completed this piece little by little over the course of a week. I'd say it took about 15 hours - a bit quicker than I thought it would be. I satin stitched the first letter of each paragraph and then did the text in three strands of black embroidery floss. It took almost a whole skein of embroidery floss to finish it!
Check out my Bob Dylan "Forever Young" lyrics piece!
I've also got an ible posted about the basics of embroidery.
I'm always accepting orders in my etsy shop, making jiggy.
I have lots of pieces, but I also love doing custom work. :D
Step 1: Progress Photos
Most of this was done at night after I finished up work, so pardon the questionable photos. :D
I laid the pattern out in Pages and then copied it onto canvas using a water soluble pen. This part alone took about an hour.
I satin stitched first so I could feel accomplished and then worked my way through the rest of the text. I spent 1-2 hours a night for the first few days, and then on Sunday I had a marathon embroidery session and finished it up!
After it was done, I washed it in the sink to remove the water soluble ink and help remove the creases from the hoop. I left it to dry overnight.
Step 2: Trimming to Size
The final size of this piece was supposed to be 8x12 inches, so I trimmed it a bit larger. I settled on 9x14 inches, because that would give me enough allowance to fold over the edges and finish it properly.
Check out the back! I really do think all tiny embroidered text looks like the Black Speech of Mordor from the back. :P
Step 3: Sewing the Edges
The first thing I did was fold over, iron and sew the two long sides of the embroidery. (First 1/8 inch and then almost a 1/4 inch) Before I sewed them down, I cut a piece of unbleached muslin to size and laid it in to help protect the stitching.
Once that was done, I folded over the top and bottom edges by about 1/8 inch and sewed them down. Then I folded it over by a little over a half inch and sewed it down again.
This created a nice sized pocket in the top and bottom which will allow the insertion of wooden dowels to keep it taut and pretty while hanging. I used pencils for staging the photos and testing it out.
It's important to note that I used white thread for this and a very small stitch length (set to a 2 on my Janome machine) to keep the stitching less obvious and cleaner.
Step 4: Detail Photos
Here are some close-ups of the piece!
Very happy with how it turned out. :D