Introduction: Watermelon Panna Cotta With Chervil Gelée
Panna cotta is an Italian dessert made by simmering together cream, milk and sugar, mixing this with Agar agar or Gelatin. I made panna cotta using fresh juice of watermelon and bottom gelée layer is fresh chervil juice. The combination of watermelon and chervil was appealing to eyes and it also tasted soo good.
Step 1: Ingredients
Watermelon Panna cotta
Watermelon chunks ( we need 2 cup of Watermelon juice for this recipe )
whipping cream - 1/2 cup
milk 3% - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1/4 cup (a little less than 1/2 cup)
Agar agar / china grass - 4 tbsp
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
Chervil leaves - 1/4 cup ( Roughly chopped)
Agar Agar / china grass - 2 tbsp
water - 1/2 cup
sugar - 1/4 cup
Lemon juice - 1 tsp
Step 2: Soak Agar Agar!
Agar agar (china grass) is a vegetarian substitute for gelatin sometimes also referred to by its Japanese name, "kanten". Agar agar is derived from a special type of Southeast Asian seaweed, rather than from animal collagen. Agar agar available in strands and powder form. Here I used agar agar strands.
1. Take handfull of agar agar and cut them into bit pieces using kitchen scissor.
2. Take them in small container and pour water in it.
3. Let it set for 4 hours or overnight.
Step 3: Making of Chervil Gelée
1. Take chervil leaves and water in blender, blend it smoothly.
2. Filter the juice and keep it aside
3. Heat medium saucepan over low flame, pour the chervil juice and sugar in it. Mix well until all incorporated.
4. Squeeze out the water from agar agar and add agar agar into the pan.
5. Stir untill the agar agar dissolves completely. ( It will take some, stir then and there)
6. Add lemon juice in it and give a stir, then turn off the flame.
7. Let it cool down completely.
Step 4: Pour It Into Glass Container
I placed the glass containers over tea cups in reclined position to obtain reclined shape of chervil gelèe.
1. Once the mixture completely cooled down, Pour it into the glass container.
2. If bubbles formed on the top surface, Use toothpicks to remove it.
2. Cling wrap the container and refrigerate it for an hour.
Lets make the watermelon panna cotta now...
Step 5: Making of Watermelon Panna Cotta
1. Take watermelon chunks into blender and puree it.
2. Filter the juice and keep it aside.
3. Heat medium saucepan over low flame, add whipping cream, milk, vanilla essence and Sugar in it.
4. Stir well untill sugar dissolves in it.
5. Add agar agar and stir untill it melts completely.
6. Now add the watermelon juice in it and mix, cook for couple of minutes.
7. Turn off the flame and let it cool down for sometime.
Step 6: Pour It Over the First Layer!
1. After an hour, take out the glass container from the refrigerator. Pour the watermelon mixture over the chervil gelée.
2. Cling wrap it and refrigerate it for another 4 hours.
Step 7: Yummy Panna Cotta Is Ready to Serve Now!
1. Garnish it with slice of lemon and serve chill.
Participated in the
Ferrous Chef: Watermelon