Introduction: Week 5: Structurally Optimized or Generative Chair
This week's assignment was to create a structurally optimized or generative chair.
Autodesk Fusion 360 (Education License)
Step 1: Topology Optimization
I followed the steps of topology optimization in the class:
1) Create a sketch followed by extrusion.
2) Specify the structural loads.
3) Specify the regions of the model to be preserved.
4) Perform a solve operation
5) Render & Print
* After topology optimization, my chair model's side lines became wiggly. The actual printed result doesn't look as smooth as the rendering result.
Step 2: Generative Design
I first downloaded a faceted chair design file from the following website: https://a360.co/39VLVf7. Then I followed the instructions from the class. I didn't use enough obstacles for the first trial, so the software generated structures on top of the seat. For the second trial, I added more obstacles so that it won't generate anything on the seat. The result is quite satisfying, but I am running one more study with more obstacles in the bottom.
Step 3: Printed Results
I have printed two chairs. The one on the left was printed with tree support, but one on the right was printed without support, which made edges not clean.