As everyone knows, when you buy a watermelon, you end up with a lot of watermelon. I found myself in this situation recently. In the past, I've made Watermelon Lemonade and Watermelon Slush, but this time I wanted something new. I decided to just add ice cream to blended watermelon to make a quick summer treat that's pretty tasty and refreshing.
Step 1: Prep Watermelon
You are going to want your watermelon cubed to easily blend it. Also, I decided not to strain this at all, so I got as many seeds out as I could easily get. Make sure you at least get the black ones even if you want to leave the white ones. The black ones will have a harder time blending.
Step 2: Ingredients
Really easy here. I'm going to give you my proportions but you can add more or less of either ingredient depending on your preferences. You can also decrease and increase as needed. These amounts perfectly filled the cup shown in the main image.
- 2c cubed watermelon - after I blended this it came out to about 1 1/4c of pureed watermelon.
- about 6 scoops or around 2 1/2c vanilla ice cream
- pinch of salt (optional) - I can't really tell if it makes a difference (I've tried it with and without) but I know people like to use it to bring out the taste of the watermelon
- Blender - an immersion blender may also work, will be more difficult to blend the ice cream but not impossible.
- Knife and cutting board to chop up that watermelon
Step 3: Blend
To make sure everything blends well, I recommend first blending up the watermelon so that you have some liquid in the blender. Start slow and speed up if needed. I sped it up to make sure any stray seeds got ground up.
Once the watermelon is blended, you can add in the ice cream and blend until smooth.
Pour into a cup and enjoy!