Intro: BLACK BEANS & RICE ESPECIAL
Too easy! Just cook 1 cup of rice; open 2 cans, add a little seasoning and slice one shallot. Makes a great side dish or entree.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS (4 Servings)
Just 8 ingredients (including water)!
- 1 cup Lundberg's Wild & Whole Grain Brown Rice, cooked according to package instructions.
- 1 & 3/4 cup tap water (used to cook the rice)
- 1 TBS EVOO (used in the cooking of the rice)
- 1 can (15.25 ounces) Publix Reduced Sodium Black Beans, drained (Reserve the liquid "just in case")
- 1 can (15.25 ounces) DelMonte Southwest Whole Kernel Corn (seasoned with Poblano and Red peppers)
- 1/2 teaspoon Louisiana Hot Sauce - or similar (Optional, but ohhh so good)!
- 1/4 teaspoon Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
- 1 medium raw shallot, sliced, for topping
That's all she wrote!
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS:
This recipe is so easy to make you can trust almost any friend or family member to prepare it for your!
- Add the rice and water to a 2 or 2 &1/2 quart heavy sauce pan.
- Add the TBS of EVOO to the mix and bring it to a boil; then cover, simmer, and cook (IE., simply follow the instructions on the package to cook your rice).
- When the rice is done, remove the pan from the burner.
- Stir in the seasonings (hot sauce & salt).
- Drain the Black beans, reserving the liquid just in case you might need it, and dump the beans into the pan of rice.
- Drain the Southwest Corn and dump the can of corn into the pan of beans and rice.
- Thoroughly mix all ingredients together.
- If you feel the mix is a bit dry, you can add some or all of the reserved black bean liquid. I did not need it..
Step 3: TIME TO EAT . . .
Serve the beans & rice in a bowl, or as a side dish, topped with slices of raw shallot.
That's all there is to it, my friends!
(I have prepared the nutritional value of this recipe to the best of my ability using the MyFitnessPal Recipe Analyzier; just click on the image to enlarge it).