In this Instructable I will show you how to make a bug catcher out of a small jar.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Supplies
Here is a list of the supplies you will need:
1. Small glass jar, about 1 3/4 inch is diameter with a lid that isn't glass, preferably plastic.
2. Kleenex or Paper Napkin
3. Drill or drill press with small drillbit small enough that small bugs can't crawl out of the hole it makes, with the exception of fleas.
4. Safety Glasses- I strongly advise you use these.
5. 1 inch thick piece of wood to use as a back up board.
6. Pecil with eraser.
7. Your brain- If you dont have one of these, I'm sorry to say your an idiot.
Step 2: The Lid
Wearing your safety glasses, insert the drill bit into the drill and place the lid of the jar on the 1 inch thick piece of wood. Now, carefully drill four holes into the lid. In this part you are going to have to have to clean out the grooves in the bit after every hole you make- especially if its plastic your, drilling the plastic can melt and eventually ruin the bit after it dries.
Step 3: Inside the Jar
Now, fold up the napkin or kleenex so that it can cover the entire bottom of the jar and not the sides. Using the pencil's eraser, gently push the napkin/kleenex to the bottom of the jar. This will act as a backing so you don't have to look around for the bug on the glass.