Want to make your own cute, fun little coasters for your favorite hot drink?? Maybe drink-themed? Or maybe something that has your favorite saying on it??
Read on…. :)
Step 1: You Will Need:
- Spare pieces of cardboard, big enough to hold a cup
- Sheet of cork (available at most craft stores)
- Rubber Stamps in your theme
- Stamp Ink Pads – Black (Make sure you get the Archival ink pad, dries faster and does not smudge)
- Acrylic Paint – Black, Beige, Metallic Champagne
- Paper, Pencil and Ruler
- Elmer's Glue
- Mod Podge – Matte
Step 2: Procedure:
I decided to make some coffee and tea themed ones coz those are my favorite beverages.
- Cut your cardboard into four even squares, a little bigger than the rim of your cup.
- Cut the cork sheets to match the squares and evenly stick them on to the cardboard (use the glue and gently press form one end to the other to avoid bubbles).
- Get your 4 cork squares and design a draft on the paper of your stamps and the layout.
- Use the pencil and ruler to draw alternating vertical and horizontal strips to make small squares on the coasters.
- Use the beige paint to color in the alternating small squares on one of the squares and do the same with the metallic champagne on another square. Let everything dry for 30 mins.
- Press the stamp of your choice on the ink pad and apply even pressure.
- Lift the stamp and gently press it over your square, applying even pressure over the entire stamp. Let the stamp dry for 6-8 hrs (some stamps will take a long time to dry).
- Add fun sayings or quotes with the paint brush and black ink. Let dry.
- Cover the entire coaster with a layer of mod podge and let dry for 1 hour.
Your cute little coasters are ready to be used ♥♥♥ and the mod podge will help clean spills easily. Enjoy!!!
These also make cute gifts for friends. Just tie a few home made coasters with cord or twine and gift away.
Fun li'l bit of knowledge:Tegestology is the practice of collecting coasters or beermats. If you start to collect them, you would be a Tegestologist……Happy collecting :)