There are a lot of nutritional benefits to Chia seeds, also knows as runners food, which may surprise you. The Aztecs and Tarahumara Indians in Central America were known for their legendary long-distance runs. Part of the Tarahumara's secret was the Chia seed!
The Chia Seed is one of the most complete plant-based foods on the planet, because they contain a full spectrum of nutrients:
- More omega-3 than salmon
- More fiber than oatmeal
- More antioxidants than blueberries
- More magnesium than broccoli
- More calcium than milk
- One of nature’s most complete sources of plant-based, vegan protein
- Soft shell, made of soluble fiber, swell to 9 times its weight to keep you full longer
The fact that these seeds swell up makes them fun to drink, and they are also very visually striking. Try this in your next drink as it is bound to surprise your guests, or start up conversations at the gym. In this tutorial we will show you how to combine these seeds with different drinks, aguas frescas, for your enjoyment.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 2 cups water or agua fresca of your choice
- 1.5 tbsp chia seeds
- Fruits to add flavor and garnish
- Sweetener, to taste (stevia or agave works great!)
Make sure to use fresh seeds as old ones tend to sink to the bottom a little. The seeds should swell up quite a bit and remain suspended in the drink. In this tutorial I will make a few different Aguas Frescas and add the Chia seeds to them.
- Place the dried hibiscus in a pitcher
- Add some hot water and wait about 10 minutes for it to soak in
- After the juice has cooled pour it in a cup and add the sweeter
- You can then pour in the seeds and stir them in
- After a few minutes you will have a healthy drink that tastes great
Step 3: Grapefruit Juice
- Cut a grapefruit and squeeze it into a glass
- Add some cold water
- Sweeten to taste
- Add the Chia seeds and mix them in
- Let it sit for 10 minutes and garnish as desired
Second Prize in the
Healthy Eating Contest
Participated in the
Snack Food Contest
Participated in the
Homebrew & Cocktails Contest