I made a chick-family with chicken nugget. They are sitting on the lawn of fried potato topped with powdered seaweed.
Chicken nugget is a nice family and picnic menu as well as a great beer snack.
By freezing chicken-nugget mix, you can make custom-figured chicken nugget!!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients
Chicken nugget mix (You can make 8-10 round bite sized nuggets)
1 piece (180-200g) chicken breast fillet
1/4 round onion
1 clove of garlic
1 medium sized egg
1.5 tablespoon of plain flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of paprika powder (or nutmeg)
2 tablespoons of cornflour
1.5 tablespoons of vegetable oil (1 tablespoon for frying, 1/2 tablespoon for shaping the mix)
Fried potato with seaweed
2 medium sized potatoes
2 teaspoons of dried and powdered seaweed (if not, thinly chopped chive or dill)
Pinches of salt
Ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise. +Black seaweed paper for eyes of chicken and chick
Knife and cutting board
A small bowl
A small flat dish
Knifes (for shaping chicken-mix)
A large frying pan with a lid
A small flying pan with a lid
Step 2: Making Chicken Nugget Mix and Shape It
- Cut onion, chicken, garlic roughly into small bite-size
- Put chicken, onion, garlic, plain flour, salt and paprika into a food processor and blend them for 40 seconds (if without food processor, put all ingredients on the large cutting board and keep beating and mixing them with a knife for 2 mins)
- Grease hands with vegetable oil, put a large bite-size portion of chicken nugget mix on the palm and roll it up. According to the size of figure, chick or chicken, change the amount of portion. If you make round shaped chicken nugget, divide the mix into 8-10 portions and roll each pieces up then flatten to make oval shape
- Place a baking sheet over a tray. Flatten chicken balls with palms and make rough chicken shapes with fingers
- Once all pieces are roughly shaped, cover the tray with cling film and put it into the freezer to chill for 5-7 mins. If you make oval shaped chicken nugget, you can skip this freezing process.
Step 3: Making Fried Potato Bed
- Peel the skin of potatoes, slice them into thin stripe
- Heat up a medium size frying pan, spread 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, load potato pieces
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook at small heat for 10 mins
- Turn over the potato to the other side and cook it for another 5 mins. To make it crispy, don't cover the pan this time
- Place the potato on a kitchen paper to remove extra oil.
Step 4: Shaping the Chicken and Fry
- Take out the tray from the freezer. Grease a small knife with vegetable oil and shape the figure of chick and chicken pieces in detail
- Dust surfaces of all pieces with cornflour
- Heat up a large frying pan at medium heat, spread vegetable oil then place chicken pieces facing on the dusted side
- Dust the other side that is facing up with cornflour
- Cook at low heat for 2-3 mins. When they are ready, turn each piece over to the other side then cover the pan with a lid
- Cook for 1 min and turn off the heat. Stay the pan covered with a lid for 4-5 mins.
Step 5: Decorating Chick Nuggets
- Put some ketchup, mustard on a small plate
- Fill comb parts with ketchup, beak parts with mustard by using a toothpick or a thin chopstick. I also mixed up ketchup and mustard and fill the body of chicks with it. Egg shells were filled with mayonnaise
- Cut a seaweed black paper into 5 pieces of 5mm square each. Pile all pieces together and cut them into round shape to make eyes. Also, make some thin stripes
- Attach a seaweed black paper eye to each pieces. Two thin stripes were added to the hen eye for eyelashes. Another three stripes were the eye of the new born crying chick.
Step 6: Getting All Together!
- Cut toothpicks into half length. Stick one in the bottom of each piece
- Place the potato on a plate, dust it with seaweed powder and a pinch of salt
- Get all pieces together by sticking them on the lawn-potato!!
Total time to prepare
In chick and chicken shaped: 50 mins
In oval shape:30 mins
First Prize in the
Chicken Recipes Contest