Ok, so this is my first Instructable, so be gentle. I spend my days in front of a computer screen ( a fact made fairly obvious by my physique ). I like the idea of standing or walking desks, but I have a bum ankle, so that's not really an option. I can, however, pedal. So I decided to make a riding desk. I already had the stationary trainer (Portland winters = cold rain and lots of it), so I just needed a way to mount a desk to the bike. I could have just gotten a tall desk that fits over the bike, but that would just be one more big piece of furniture to store. So after a good deal of time staring at my bike, this is what I came up with.
Please let me know if there's anything I could have made clearer or if you fine a better way to do things...
- 6" threaded 1/2" PVC Pipe (2)
- PVC "T" Reducer 1" - 1/2" (2)
- 1/2" floor flange (2)
- 3/4" Screws (8)
- Hose Clamps (4)
- 12" x 30" x 3/4" plywood
- Philips screwdriver (or bit)
- Flat screwdriver (or bit)
First, cut the PVC reducer in half and set the "T" half on the handlebar to make sure it fits.
- Loose-fit the parts to ensure fit.
- Climb on the bike and set the desktop where you want it.
- Have someone mark the screw holes in the desktop using he screw-holes in the floor flanges (you can do this yourself, but it might take a bit of contortion.
- Drill out your pilot holes in the desktop.
- Put everything back together and use 3/4" screws to secure desktop to floor-flanges.