I started our library build in a very empty formal living space. Not much going on except a fireplace. My wife has a lot of books and has been wanting a home library to show them off. This was the perfect space to do so. The plan is two full walls of book cases, A coffered ceiling with vintage tin inlaid.
Step 1: The Room / Future Library
I started our library build by emptying out any furniture I could and removing the crown and base moldings.
Step 2: Building of Cases
10 sheets of furniture grade plywood, and poplar 1" x's. Using a Dado blade I created the groove to receive the shelves. Created face frames to fit using the poplar and my Kreg pocket hole jig. I build 5 base cabinets and 56 bookcases.
Step 3: Installing.
Once everything was built I installed in place.
Step 4: Creating the Raised Panels
In the double pocket door entrance I trimmed out the sides and underside of the bookcases with a raised panel detail. I created the style and rail with poplar and pocket hole screws. For the panels I ran 3/4" MDF through my Williams and Hussey molding machine with the raised panel knives.
Step 5: Trimming Out the Base.
I used a plinth block detail with a custom made base cap design I created.
Step 6: Priming and Painting
I opted to prime and paint the woodwork in place, this way it would all get coated at once. I was a LONG process!
Step 7: 5' High Wainscotting
I created a 5' high wainscot with a small 8" top panel. I used 2-1/2" wide poplar and a rabbited cove molding to create the detail.
Step 8: Coffered Ceiling Beams
I used 2-1/2" and 5-1/2" by 16' long. poplar to create the beams. They were put together with a biscuit joiner.
Step 9: Hanging the Beams
I screwed 2" x 4"s to the ceiling joists and then glued and screwed and nailed the beams up. At the cross section I added a rosette for detail.
Step 10: Tin Inlay
Long ago when I built the house (17 Years ago) I knew I would be doing this at some point and I installed 1/4 plywood under the sheet rock on the ceiling so I could some day install a tin ceiling using screws. This is that someday! I got my hands on some 100 year old tin. It has seen better days as it has several coats of paint on it. I wanted a distressed vintage look that told it's history so I wire brushed all the loose paint off and then sealed with a Rustoleum clear gloss lacquer. I cut the tin to size and used Liquid Nail construction adhesive and some fine screws painted to match the tin to install. I then finished off the inside edges with crown molding.
Step 11: Finished Library
Well aside from the library ladder and the bottom doors and all the books to go in the room is finished! I am really happy with how it all turned out and cant wait to sit with a book and enjoy.