The idea for this organizer stemmed from my vending machine business. I refurbish and repair machines on a daily basis, and keeping track of vending machine parts and hardware can be a job on its own. Not to mention, replacing lost hardware is not as easy as going to your local hardware store. Parts have to be ordered in advance and that can be very tedious. I wanted a spot where I could easily put the hardware I removed from a machine, label it, and store it in a place where I could easily come back to it when it was time to piece things back together.
Step 1: The Boxes
The little boxes I use are called, "really useful
box". I had used them in the past and light, sturdy, and seem to stand the test of time and abuse. Of course this idea can be used for basically anything you can attach a magnet to.
Step 2: The Magnets
The magnets are neodymium magnets. I bought mine on ebay. I started out using the plain ones but I realized that the countersink holes were more useful as I could use a nut and screw to attach them as opposed to glueing them. The ones I bought were labeled "25 x 3 Hole 5mm N50 Round Countersunk Rare Earth Neodymium Magnets". They are very strong magnets aside from some slight shifting (when i drive on rough terrain or hit a few bumps on the road) they hold sturdy.
Step 3: Attaching the Magnets to Case
The way I attached the magnets to the case was by drilling slightly into the pelican case with a 1" Forstner Bit and then using loctite epoxy to glue the magnets into the predrilled hole. I did not want to use the countersink magnets and drill a hole all the way through because I wanted to keep the pelican case as watertight as possible, which meant drilling as few holes as possible
I measured out the holes depending on the boxes I was going to use. I found that when I tried using the long magnetic bars at the hardware store, the boxes would just slide up and down the bar and would end up being a mess. Whereas with the two neodymium magnets on each box, the boxes did not move at all.
Step 4: Drop Down Assist
I used a DeeZee tailgate assist on each side of the case to prevent the top from doping down too rapidly when I opened it up. I plan on using the bottom part for some tools but I have not decided how I want to do it. So when there is a little weight I don't want it coming down to hard. I Simply roughed up the plastic on the case a little and used Loctite epoxy to attach the mounts to the case. I made sure that i measure out the positioning properly before glueing it.
Step 5: (EO)2 Fastener
I used an EO2 fastener system to attach the case to my truck. Can't enough good things about this system. Basically it allows you to pull the case off the truck with ease. It is also lockable and Mounting rails can be installed anywhere to transfer the case to either a wall storage system or anything you can dream up. Take a look at the website for some demo vids.
Step 6: Finale
As with every project I do this thing came together little by little and I made adjustments along the way. There are many things I would do differently next time but I think all in all, it worked out. Without a doubt it has helped a ton with keeping my hardware and tools more organized, and the fact that I can pull the whole case off with the E)2 system and bring into my garage and office makes it alot easier for me to work on the go (which I do alot). Ill post more vids or pics as i play around with it. hope you like it and hopefully some new ideas can come from this.