Modifying a World of Fantasy Kit #2

296

1

2

About: I love to create sci-fi models, paint figures and generally stay a kid at heart.

This is a 1/24 scale plastic model kit that comes from a collection of "World of Fantasy" game or series. I thought that this would be a nice break from the norm, which for me means almost anything.

Supplies:

Testor's liquid plastic cement

Tamiya Model White Putty

AVES 2 part Expoxy Sculpt

Metal putty spatula

Scalpel with #11 blades

Citadel White spray can primer

Citadel Acrylics and inks

Vallejo Acrylic paints

Ben Franklin's cheap 2 oz. Crafter's Acrylic paints

Poster Board

8 lb. density polyurethane foam for base

Dried flowers, and actual rocks/pebbles

Teacher Notes

Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.

Step 1: Uh No, That Reptile's Got to Go...

At first glance, the boxtop shows a nifty female warrior clad in armour, atop a ferocious reptilian beast in the jungle. As the assembly began, this beast looked not like the box, but emaciated and weak, and not strong enough to carry the weight of both warrior and cargo.

It was then I decided to do some DNA splicing and change this critter into a furry mammal.

Step 2: The Transformation

I wasn't sure how to begin, so began by adding bits and pieces of 2 part epoxy sculpt onto to the critter. I would add patches of epoxy, then blend to the next with a water dampened finger. Once a section was covered, I went back with the edge of the spatula and sliced in fur lines.

In the second shot, the horns were redone, and a scalpel was needed to mark the joint lines.

The third photo shows the tail covered and marked, which wound up being the toughest part to do. The first attempt made it too fat and I had to actually carve down some plastic to make it look right for the fir application.

While the epoxy was drying, I assembled the warrior and added paper straps for her knife.

Step 3: White Primer Time

She isn't attached yet, but all the baggage is glued on with cyanoacrylate glue.

I love spraying primer. That means we are halfway home! 2 good coats took care of the rider and beast.

Step 4: Base Coats

Using thinned Citadel acrylics, the animal, saddle and baggage was covered up.

Step 5: Detailing

Fun, fun, fun. Now we can bring out the details! Once the fir dried overnight, I did a simple wash with Citadel Dark Flesh ink. I let it sit for 15 seconds, then dabbed off the excess with a paper towel. Once this wash dried, I dabbed Citadel fir base coat plus white, and brushed off 99% on paper towel. Then the critter was drybrushed lightly to catch the fir highlights. The bags and saddle were painted different values of leather and washed with thinned black or brown ink. The warrior was painted fleshtone for face, green for uniform and dark metallic grey for body armour. Her boots and gloves were painted dark leather. Washes and drybrushing accented the armour and hair. Her weapon basecoat was black with silver drybrushed.

Step 6: Base and Backdrop

The foam base was carved to simulate a cliff ledge. It was painted with Ben Franklin craft acrylics. When dried, holes were punch and dried flowers glued on with 5 minute epoxy, as well as small rocks.

The back drop is poster board with rock formations sketched in and painted with Ben Franklin acrylics.

Step 7: Finale

And here are some finished photos.

Be the First to Share

    Recommendations

    • Art Skills Challenge

      Art Skills Challenge
    • Make it Move

      Make it Move
    • Teacher Contest

      Teacher Contest

    2 Discussions