This quick & easy low calorie carrot cake is supper yummy and moist.
It allows you to make a satisfying carrot cake in just under 10 min using a microwave. It also happens to be gluten free and vegan.
Unlike a lot of mug cake or gluten free egg less cakes, this carrot cake is actually very similar to the original full fat version. One more great thing about this recipe is that it is single serving so it prevents the likelihood of over indulgence.
Calorie and Macro Information for the whole recipe (1 serving total): 203 calories, 3.7 F, 36.5 C, 6 fiber, 7.7 P, 4.9 sugar
For the cake: 1 small carrot grated 40 g oat flour 1.5 tsp baking powder 0.25 tsp cinnamon 0.125 tsp ground ginger 0.125 tsp ground nutmeg 1 pinch of sea salt 2 tbsp of stevia powder 25 g unsweetened apple sauce
For the icing: 2 tbsp 3% fat cream cheese (use vegan cream cheese for vegans) liquid stevia (equivalent to 3 tsp of sugar, you can use more for sweeter icing) 0.25 tsp vanilla extract
1. Grate a small carrot into a decent size mug and add in 40 g of oat flour, 1.5 tsp of baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, sea salt, and 25 g unsweetened apple sauce.
2. Mix everything with a spoon until you get a cake batter consistency and flatten the top of the cake batter.
3. Put the mug cake in the microwave until when you insert a tooth pick into the cake nothing sticks to it. It takes about 4 min for our Italian microwave (~ 700 W). For a US microwave you may want to start with just 1 to 2 min and add more time if needed to prevent over cooking.
4. As the cake is cooking, we are going to quickly make the icing. Simply mix the 3% fat cream cheese with liquid stevia and vanilla extract. Mix until you get a nice icing consistency.
5. After the carrot cake has rested for a few minutes, pour the cake onto a plate and top it with icing.
As you cut into the cake, you can see it is very moist and it tastes just like a well made traditional carrot cake.
For more healthy & tasty dessert recipes, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5eJCT09znHy5L9lHhOxnLcbd6dJfwAae
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Participated in the
Snacks Contest 2016