While this recipe is exceptionally high in protein and full of delicious ingredients - nice pink Key West Shrimp, big juicy Sea Scallops, Imported Austrian Cheese, White Wine, butter & cream - you may find it a bit rich for your diet, so save it for special occasions!
Step 1: INGREDIENTS:
FOR THE SEAFOOD:
- 1/2 lb raw sea scallops
- 1/2 lb medium-sized raw shrimp (shells removed;deveined).
- 3 ounces (or more) Cremini mushrooms (or button mushrooms)
- 1 large shallot
- 1 TBS unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup good white wine (I used Barefoot California Riesling in this recipe)
- 1/2 cup water
- S&P to taste
FOR THE AU GRATIN SAUCE:
- 2 TBS unsalted butter
- 2 TBS flour
- 3/4 liquid (reserved liquid from cooking shrimp & scallops; see step 4)
- 1/2 cup milk (I used Almond Breeze Almond Milk)
- 1 cup pasteurized heavy cream
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 2 TBS; maybe a little less).
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt (with Iodine if you can find it).
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (optional)
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1 TBS unsalted butter
- 3 TBS Panko Japanese-style seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded soft or semi-firm yellow cheese (I used imported Austrian Amadeus cheese).
Step 2: PREPARATION:
FOR THE SCALLOPS & SHRIMP:
- Wipe the mushroom caps clean with a moistened paper towel, remove and discard the stems, cut the caps into slices, set aside.
- Peel the shallot and cut it into thin slices (not to thin) and set aside.
- Slice the large sea scallops in half and set aside.
FOR THE TOPPING:
- Shred 1 cup of cheese and set aside.
- Mix 1 TBS of unsalted butter into the 2 TBS of breadcrumbs and set aside.
(PREPARATION OF THE AU GRATIN SAUCE IS SHOW IN ITS ENTIRETY IN STEP 4)
Step 3: INSTRUCTIONS:
INITIAL PREPARATION OF SHRIMP & SCALLOPS:
- Melt 1 TBS unsalted butter in a heavy sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add sliced shallots to the melted butter and stir-fry with a wooden spoon for about 1 minute.
- Add sliced mushrooms to pan and continue to stir-fry gently until softened (about 5 or 6 minutes).
- Add Wine and 1/2 cup water.
- Add shrimp (only), raise heat to medium-high and bring mixture to a boil.
- Cook for about 1 minute, then add scallops. Continue to cook just until scallops are heated through (perhaps 1 to 3 minutes, depending on whether they were cold or at room temperature when added) - you do not want to overcook scallops or they will become tough).
- Remove pan from burner, and using a slotted spoon, remove pan ingredients to a bowl, cover with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Reserve the pan liquid for use in the Au Gratin sauce.
FOR PREPARATION OF THE AU GRATIN SAUCE, PLEASE SEE NEXT STEP.
Step 4: INSTRUCTIONS (CONTINUED) . . .
INITIAL PREPARATION OF THE AU GRATIN SAUCE:
Place a rack on top runners of oven (about 6' below heat source) and preheat broiler to 500 degrees f.
- Strain reserved liquid from previous step and set aside (you will need at least 3/4 of a cup of liquid to make the sauce) - you can add a little more water, or a splash of wine, if necessary.
- Wipe the sauce pan clean and melt 2 TBS unsalted butter over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir briskly with a wire whisk until well blended.
- Add the reserved liquid and continue to whisk until the sauce becomes smooth & creamy.
- Add milk and heavy cream, lemon juice (not photographed), S&P, (and cayenne pepper if using) and continue to cook, stirring steadily with the whisk for 4 to 6 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
Remove pan from heat and momentarily set aside.
Step 5: ASSEMBLE RECIPE AND BROIL:
- Spray a cast iron skillet (my preference) or a heavy oven/broiler safe baking dish with cooking spray.
- Dump the seafood/mushroom/shallot mixture into the pan and spoon the Au Gratin sauce over the top of it.
- Sprinkle the buttered bread crumbs over the sauce and then cover that with the shredded cheese.
- Center the skillet under the broiler and broil for 3 to 6 minutes, or the cheese has melted and is just beginning to turn golden brown.
- Serve ASAP.
Step 6: TIME TO EAT . . .
I enjoyed my dinner last night with a few slices of homemade Parmesan Garlic Bread and a glass of chilled Riesling wine (the wine was at room temperature so that it could be added to the Au Gratin sauce, so I did add a few ice cubes to the glass in order to chill it - sorry about that)!
Step 7: NUTRITION:
I have prepared the nutritional value of this recipe to the best of my ability using the MyFitnessPal Recipe Analyzer. Just click on the image to enlarge it.
Nutritional analysis does not include the garlic bread or glass of wine.
Participated in the