With this simple trick, telemarketers will think your phone is disconnected and will (hopefully) stop calling you. We seem to have had success with this so far, so go ahead and try it! All you will need is a computer with speakers (preferably near your phone).
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Get the "Phone Disconnected" Message
Go to this link. Find the "Disconnected number" sound (.wav file) and save it to your desktop. If you need help with either of these, see the pictures.
Step 2: When a Telemarketer Calls...
Now, you need to wait for a telemarketer (or someone else you don't want to hear from anymore) to call you. When they do, get ready to act. This is what you need to do:
1. Make sure everyone and everything in the room is quiet.
2. Make sure your computer is not playing any audio. This does NOT mean that you should mute or turn down your speakers, you will need to use them.
3. Double-click the file on your desktop. While it is loading, go ahead and answer the phone.
4. When the file starts playing, hold the phone up to the computer's speakers. Set the audio to loop or repeat. That way, you will not need to click play every time.
5. While you are doing this, listen to the phone.
6. When you hear loud, obnoxious beeping, the caller has hung up. You can hang up the phone and close the media player.
At this point, the caller probably thinks your phone line is disconnected. They should eventually remove you from their list and stop calling you. That's a simple way to stop sales calls. If this works for you, be sure to tell everyone in the comments, and thanks for reading this.