This is a version of the very famous "String-Art" style, and my attent to create a sugar skull with it. Perfect for Halloween!!!
The project is very easy to make, futhermore you can dowload the template I created for the skull.
Let´s get started!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Let´s Get Ready!
This are the stuff you will need:
- A wooden board. (Im using a cheap wooden cutting board.)
- Color threads. (I used white, yellow, blue, orange, green, purple and red, but you can use the ones you prefered.) Be creative!
- A hammer.
- A brush.
- Black acrylic paint.
- Transfering paper.
Step 2: Draw and Paint.
First of all, im sketching the skull over the wood, then im transfering ir into the paper. but you can skip this step if you use the template, just copy the desing on the paper.
- Paint the wood with black painting. You don´t need any kind of imprimation for this.
- Take again the transfering paper, this time in the opposite direction and put it over the wood.
- With a pencil go over the lines you have done, as you can see, the draw will be on the board now. :)
If you need it too, cut the handle with a saw and the wood with be ready!
Step 3: Nail After Nail
Take the nails and nail it them following the draw.
I think it looks great now so you can stop here if you want, but if you want more colour...let´s continue!
Step 4: String It!
Take the thread of your choose for the base of the skull.
- Outline the skull. Connect the nails with the thread.
- Go conecting each nail with the ones near them.
- Continue until you are happy with the result.
Step 5: Let´s Decorate!
Using another tipes of thread i´m decorating the piece to turn this skull into a sugar skull!
- Red for the flowers around the eyes.
- Yellow and orange for the orange.
- Green, blue and purple for the ornaments.
- Gold for the teeths.
And...you are done! I hope you like it!