Introduction: Vertical Garden With Reinforced Pouches
This Instructable is for a DIY vertical garden using an Ikea waste basket as the base. Adding woven plastic to felt pouches strengthens and adds a water-resistant capacity.
These instructions are for one pouch, but in the pictures I made two. Make even more than that!!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Accumulate Materials
- Plastic bags
- Ikea Variera trash basket
- Heavy duty felt
- Parchment paper
- Zip ties
- Potting soil
Step 2: Disassemble Waste Basket
- Remove and discard side wings from the waste basket
- Remove and discard base
Step 3: Weave Plastic Strips
Woven plastic bags give strength and water resistance to the pouches.
- Cut plastic bag into strips
- Arrange strips into tight woven pattern
Step 4: Heat Plastic
With iron on low setting,
- Heat plastic between two sheets of parchment paper
- Once cooled, trim rough edges off plastic squares
Step 5: Make the Felt Pouch
Make the initial felt pouch
- Cut felt into the a rectangle roughly 8.5 by 7.5 inches
- Fold felt in half, leaving roughly 1 inch at the top and pin in place
- Using twine, sew along the two sides
Step 6: Add Plastic Reinforcement
Position the plastic over the front (shorter) edge of the pouch
- Using twine, attach the plastic to the felt pouch at the top two corners
- Wrap underneath the pouch and knot to the back stitches
Step 7: Add Grommets
Along the top of the pouch,
- Place the grommet base and tool on the right side of felt where you wish to create the holes
- Pound down in one fell swoop (watch your fingers!) and puncture felt with tools
- Repeat on left side
Step 8: Attach Pouches to Base
Using two zip ties
- Loop zip tie through the right grommet to the Ikea base
- Repeat on the top left side A
Step 9: Add Plants!
In the pouch,
- Place potting soil
- Remove plants from pots and secure in the pouch, making sure the plants are turned forward
- You can remove adhesive on the back to attach to wall, or hang
- Make multiples to create a full wall garden