The idea is to make short instructable for putting a text on a tshirt via a heatpress and vinyl foil for an event.
see next step for supplies
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Preparation
- vinyl foil
- small metal hook is also handy
- box cutter
- heat press
- baking paper
Step 2: Design the T-shirt
Make a design or text that you want to have on the T-shirt/sweater in Brother Canvas software for mechanical cutout by a cutting machine.
The standard size of a cutting mat is 305x305mm
Step 3: Before You Cut..
If the design is made, you have to mirror it (horizontally) because you cut on the backside of the vinyl foil.
Step 4: Export the Design to the Machine
Either you can do this with an usb stick or via usb cable if the Brother Scan 'n Cut supports it.
Step 5: Import the Design in the Machine
Load the file from the usb stick or from the internal memory of the scan cut and do a quick visual check if all text is mirrored and is properly scaled.
--> If necessary you can still adjust the size and position on the LCD of the scan cut machine
A few designs in attachment below.
Step 6: Cutting Vinyl
- lay the vinyl upside down on the mat. The transparant plastic foil should be underneeth tht vinyl so the machine cuts only the vinyl
- Put the cutting mat in the machine
- update the setting to the thickness of the vinyl (check manual of the machine)
- cut the design
Step 7: Removing the Remaining Vinyl
- After the machine has cut the vinyl, remove the mat from the machine
- start pulling the remaining vinyl so only the design remains (so you only remove what is NOT needed)
Step 8: Printing the T-shirt
Be careful - following steps have to be done very carefully to avoid severe burns !!
Preheat the heat press on +- 150°C
put the T-shirt over the lower plate (" the cold one" )
place the cut out vinyl on top of the T-shirt - not touching the hot top plate!
place a piece of baking paper in between the upper plate and the protective transparant plastic foil
In short - top to bottom:
hot plate > baking paper > transparant plastic foil > vinyl > T-shirt > cold plate
- press the hot plate now for 10 to 15s onto the T-shirt
- let cool down for +- 15s (depending on the protective foil of the vinyl)
- remove carefully the protective plastic foil
- press the hot plate again 15 to 20s onto the T-shirt
- let cool down and remove T-shirt from the cold plate (this cold plate may heat up after a few T-shirts, be careful of skin burns !)
- peel off the plastic foil from the T-shirt
- up to the next one!