Introduction: 3-in-1 Wired Sea Shell Spiral Earrings
Ever wondered about doing things that you never thought of doing or never imagined that you could do. I am sure we all had such moments . I strongly believe creativity is contagious and inspiration is omnipresent (Oh.. I think I just wrote a quote...quote it people :D).
When I was a kid, there used to be my neighbor who was a professional goldsmith. I used to sneak around when he used to work at home and I always found things look so complicated about jewelery (I still do). But I used to love bending and twisting wires (mostly from electrical wires) into funny shapes, mostly making spectacles like Gandhi or just making funny spirals and never imagined that one day I will be able to get my hands dirty on making some wire jewelry. Thanks to instructbales and all those people who posted awesome wire jewelry projects. So here I am, trying to shape some wires into my wild imaginations.
This project is simple and does not require any professional wire bending expertise (I am nowhere close to an expert). 3-in-1 means that you can wear these earnings in three different ways and each has its own different look:).
Lets bend some wires :)
By the way this jewelry is inspired by my lamp project which I made using conch shell.
If this deserves your vote, please do vote.:)
Step 1: All That You Need
- Some jewelry wire (Sorry no gauge size here, the seller sold them loose without this info).
- Some small size conch shell (I got an assorted pack of sea shells from a craft store and got a few in that) . See the size in the image above.
- Some transparent glass seed beads.
- A ruler
- A wire cutter
- A round nose plier
- A flat nose plier.
- A ring mandrel (or any round cylindrical object)
- A filer will be helpful to file off sharp wire ends.
- Earring findings (Needed only if you don't wish to make ear wire on your own :))
Step 2: Some Basics
- To create loop.
- To create wrapped loop.
- To create ear wire (the one that is used to hang earrings but has multiple use and will come handy).
So lets see how to do these, so that when we actually start making the jewel, it will be a lot easier to explain & understand. See the images above for explanation.
You can find many such (and better ones) tutorials on instructbles or internet, but to avoid distraction of finding one, I am adding my own here. :D
Allright...lets make some jewelry now.
Step 3: Spiral the Beads
- Cut 2 wires of about 8-9 inch length.
- Create a small wrapped loop at one end in both the wires (Image 1).
- Bead the wire with seed beads leaving about 1inch wire in the end (Image 2).
- Now wrap this beaded wire on mandrel on its widest end, gently without putting much pressure otherwise the beads will be broken (Image 3).
- Remove the wire from mandrel and stretch it a bit to form a spiral spring like shape (Image 4).
- Using the round nose plier, create spiral loops, such that the remaining wire is pointing upward and loop downward (Image 5).
- Bend the remaining wire to form a small ear wire (Image 6).
Step 4: Wrap the Shell
Ok.. lets make it
- Cut 2 8 inch wires.
- Create a wrapped loop at one end (Image 1).
- Hold the wrapped loop close to the top of shell (Image 2)and start wrapping along the spiral lines of the shell, as much as you can till you reach the end (Image 3). Keep the wire stretched all the time when you wrap otherwise it will be loose and won't hold the shell well.
- Hold the other end of the wire with round nose pliers and start bending to create a squares (Image 4) one inside other until no wire is left and it touched the bottom of conch shell (Image 5 & 6).
- Create two ear wires (small size) and attach them to the loop on top of the shell.
The shell earrings are ready :). I love the way I was able to wrap the wire around the spiral lines of the shell. This is the 2 in 3-in-1 earrings, and it can be wore right just like this.
Step 5: Wrap Me in Your Spiral :)
There is no work in this step instead its the outcome of the last two steps that we are able to make this third one, to make the third out of 3-in-1 earring, all you need to do is attach the ear wire of shell in the loop of the beaded spiral. To do this insert the shell from the bottom of the spiral, hook the ear wire into the loop and you are done :)
I have enjoyed bending and shaping the wire and making this 3-in-1 earrings. I learned a lot many things about working with wire while making this. And I do realize that there is lot to learn and practice. I am loving making wire jewelry and I will continue to make more of it.
I hope you like it as much as I did.
Thank you for your time and efforts to visit and read this ible. I would appreciate your feedback, comments and suggestion. If you think this ible deserves, please vote for me.
Till next instructable :D. And you are awesome.
Participated in the
Participated in the
Participated in the
Epilog Challenge V